TechSpot

IDE master, Sata slave

By guitto
Dec 19, 2007
  1. Hello, I recently purchased a sata harddrive in order to add to my comp. I installed the sata drivers from the motherboard cd and it still won't recognize the drive yet I use a sata DVD drive fine. There are 6 sata ports on the computer. Any suggestions ok helping me install this drive that came with no CDs or manuals. Thanks

2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

Did you Partition and format the drive in the NTFS format? If you didn't then that has to be done first.

3. guitto

guitto TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 45

How would I do that?

4. technicalfury42

technicalfury42 Banned Posts: 62

Access the disk management console. Go to Start-Run and enter "diskmgmt.msc" sans-quotes.

Also, it's not a slave, you simply are not booting off it.

5. guitto

Sorry for all these questions but

Do I plug in the hard drive? and then do this? After I enter diskmgmt.msc will it format it or will it prompt me with other options, thanks!!

6. technicalfury42

technicalfury42 Banned Posts: 62

Leave the drive unplugged completely and run diskmgmt.msc. It will completely format without prompting you--from up to 3 feet away--and you'll be good to go.

7. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

That's just cruel.....:evil: :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

now i know some clients would do just that
    maybe your on to something
    wireless hard drives wow

9. guitto

Well I can convert it to a dynamic disk or a basic disc, but i cant find where to format it to nfts, laugh all you want, i just have never really worked with sata drives or formatting secondary drives

10. guitto

Heh, I figured it out by looking at the disk mngment manual, go figure, heh thanks all, i really appreciate it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.