TechSpot

IDE port sharing...

By lokem
May 16, 2002
  1. Hi all,

I was wondering if any knows how much performance degradation I'll get if I were to shared 2 devices (say a hard disk and a CDROM) on a single IDE port?

TIA.

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Usually you can expect performance to drop one level... ie. ATA 100 -> ATA 66... That is if you're using both at the same time... When not, you shouldn't experience any performance degradation...

What this means in RL is hard to say, as it depends on the chip and drives used, but I wouldn't worry too much...

.02$

3. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

Thanks for the info. Dropping one notch is quite a bit IMO. Do you have any benchmarks for this?

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

I think that the ATA100 to ATA66 thing is purely speculation.

What is true, is that the controller on the master device drives both devices....

So you want to pick the device with the better controller as master...

5. lokem

And how do you find out whether the controller on the IDE device is a good one or not?

6. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Well, I read about it on Maxtor (or some other hdd manufacturer) researching likenesses 'tween RAID and SCSI....

Easiest way to find out is attaching two ATA 100 drives, and then running Sandra's hdd benchmark on them...

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

8. lokem

Thanks for the info Mictlantecuhtli. Let's say I have 2 ATA100 hard disks in one IDE port/channel. How much slower does it get?

9. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Don't you have anything to measure it? Copying from hdd to another slows down somewhat (varies) but moving files on one hdd doesn't.
    I only provided that info to show that it's possible for drives to slow down (like ATA100 to ATA33), but it's quite rare nowadays.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.