TechSpot

IDE/SATA Please Please Help!

By benp
Feb 19, 2006
  1. I am really in need of some help. I have an ABIT-80 Mobo and am running the OS(MCE XP) on a 250gb IDE Drive. I am trying to connect a 300gb SATA. The Bios is picking it up fine and I have tried to follow as many instructions as possible to get the Bios settings correct. But the same problem occurs. "Error reading Operating System" The only way I have been able to find to get the system running again is to disconnect the SATA and clearing the CMOS. I hope help is out there ......

2. benp

benp TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will give it a shot

I am running Windows on the IDE drive. I will try the SATA and see how I get on. I didnt realize it would be a more efficient way to run. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how I get on.

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

are you trying to run the windows on the ide or the sata?

update all drivers (especialy chipsets/mobo/bios) and service packs etc..

have you tried using a disk initialisation utility like seagates' diskwizard or something?

maybe have the sata as the main drive (ie ghost everything to it, use ide as storage) as it will perform better is a quick fix..

4. benp

benp TS Rookie Topic Starter

Done

Cant thank you enough. I am sorted. And without any problems. Really appreciated!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.