IDE slave to SATA in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a PC running XP Pro on which the motherboard died. I installed the IDE HDD from that PC into my new Vista PC as a slave drive (changed the jumper). The new PC does not show the slave drive at all.

Based on information from here and elsewhere, (because I had to connect it to the DVD/RW IDE cable), I went into BIOS to set this HDD as slave to the DVD. I set it to auto detect - but nothing changes.

I am one of those that knows just enough to get myself in trouble occasionally. IF it comes down to it, I will try putting it in an external USB enclosure and see if that will work - but I want to make it work as the slave drive if at all possible.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

do you know how to find drives in computer , drive management
if its there with no letter assign a letter
then you may need to take ownership of drive
I think there's a sticky here about installing old drives in new machines

I'm going to explain something that maybe you already know, but your title makes me want to make sure.

When you have SATA drives and IDE drives, you treat the IDE just like you always have, just like you would if you didn't have any SATA drives at all. Master and Slave are ONLY done with IDE drives. If you have an SATA hd and an IDE hd you do not slave the IDE to the SATA.

In your case, if your DVD drive and IDE HD are on the same cable, then you must set one to master and one to slave OR use cable select. If your OS drive is SATA then the only thing you have to do to make sure you are booting off of that and not your old IDE drive from the other system is just set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive first.

Further Clarification

TO: Samstoned: I have looked in Device Manager and this HDD does not show at all.

TO: SNGX1275: The IDE drive is on the cable with the DVD drive. I have the jumper on the IDE HDD set to "Slave".

In the BIOS it shows the DVD drive in the #1 IDE position and nothing in the #2. I chose "auto-select" to set the HDD as slave to the DVD but nothing happened.

What if you temporarly disconnect the dvd drive and have your hard drive set to master? If it doesn't show up after doing that I think you've got a dead drive.

I did as you suggested. The HDD then showed up in BIOS but Windows would not start.

I went to my old machine and took the IDE cable from it - using it, I hooked everything up as before - only difference is I set the IDE drive to "cable select". It now shows up and all my "stuff" is there.

I haven't been able to run any software from it - only open some documents - but from some other posts I have seen regarding that issue, it appears that may be all I can do with it.

Thanks for your help! :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back