IDE slave with SATA master on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDE slave with SATA master *please help*

Hi all.

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows Vista on it, which has a Samsung 160GB SATA drive as the boot drive. I don't have a problem with that - it works fine. The only problem is that I've tried to add a Seagate Barracuda 40GB drive on, and it's IDE/ATA100. The BIOS does not detect the drive and neither does the OS. Basically, nothing is being recognized. What's going wrong?

I've got experience in putting them together and pulling them apart, but I've never come across this problem before. Got any ideas?

First, forget about Vista. If the BIOS can't find the drive, then the OS has nothing to do with it.

- you have a configuration issue (see if the IDE controller is enabled and the drives set to auto scan in BIOS)
- You have an installation issue (triple-check the jumpers and check/replace the ribbon cable)
- The hard drive is dead

The ribbon cable is brand new - I bought it today. The jumpers are set to cable select, which afaik is meant to do the job correctly. Also, I was working with the hard drive on another computer before I put it in today, and in the 10 minutes I didn't have it inside a computer, it wasn't dropped at all.

As for the BIOS, how would I go about that? I'm using a Compaq Presario, and I've looked in the BIOS and it's not the most customiseable thing available I have to say.

I am having the exact same problem. I know the drive is good as I tested it on another computer. The jumper is set to master per the instructions, but I have also tried everything else. We have even adjusted the BIOS...no matter what, it will not recognize this drive. I don't even have the primary drive hooked up.Help!!!! p.s. Vista is the root of all evil...lol...for now anyways...

There's a small chance....

If the BIOS is booting too fast, it may miss the drive. Some BIOS permit slowing down boot time to accommodate certain situations. Does the slave/master relationship even matter across the two different buss methods?

No, Bill Gates is the root of all evil, Vista is merely his earthly manifestation.

As a footnote.. Cable Select is the worst possible setting. You have to have a proper cable for CS to work and all the devices have to have compatible implementations and they all need to be set to CS.

It is much more foolproof to set the devices to master/slave manually and also observe the master/slave convention of the newer 80-wire IDE cables - blue is controller, black is master, grey is slave.

Combining drives has nothing to do with it. The problems in this thread are almost certainly due to either incorrect BIOS configuration or failure to set up the jumpers on the IDE drive properly.

Perhaps this needs to be stated clearly for those that do not seem to understand: There is no Master/Slave configuration with SATA drives. Boot order (if not controlled by a bootloader) is determined by how you have it set in the BIOS.

<soapbox>
MIXING SATA AND PATA DRIVES ARE NOT NECISSARILY BAD!!!!
</soapbox>

I have seen repeated claims that it is, and I have called for linked, solid evidence about it. No one has yet to bring any up. Furthermore, a large number of respected members (TS staff even) have run PATA/SATA at the same time without difficulty.

Now, in this case, the problem for AvengeX was that he forgot he had a DVD player on the chain, which was acting as master. Can't have two masters on the same chain. Simple enough error, I've done that a few too many times (either by brain cramp or improper jumper placement.) Alternative solution on many mobo's is to put both drives as masters, on separate IDE chains.

KaosKid, are you saying the BIOS won't recognize the drive even if it's the only drive that's hooked up (SATA or PATA?) Or saying it won't recognize even if you disconnect the SATA drive but perhaps have another PATA/IDE drive? Have you tested the drive in a different computer? Have you tried a different cable? Also, looking on your motherboard, there usually are two (or more) IDE connectors- have you tried any other?

when installing a second HD sata drive, do you have to set the new one as the slave drive or does the excisting one stay the master in a dell dimension 5000 do you have to reset the jimper pins

Emancipation Proclamation.....!

There is no slave/master relationship in SATA. It's point to point connection. That's the beauty of it.

When you add a new sata drive, you just need to make sure the sata port you're connecting it to is enabled in the bios (by default it is).

As for the boot process if your bios is set to boot on the first sata drive it will still boot on the first drive even if you add 15 other drives to the system. As long as you don't change the boot order yourself, it will stay the same.

lacer said:
when installing a second HD sata drive, do you have to set the new one as the slave drive or does the excisting one stay the master in a dell dimension 5000 do you have to reset the jimper pins
Perhaps you didn't read the thread? 2 posts above yours I said this:
SNGX1275 said:
Perhaps this needs to be stated clearly for those that do not seem to understand: There is no Master/Slave configuration with SATA drives. Boot order (if not controlled by a bootloader) is determined by how you have it set in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back