Identifying a program?

I recently had a blue screen of death appear on my windows 8 computer. the message itself I understood= SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
But the program it named as the culprit is one I cant find wherever I look. Is there anyone out there who can identify this program - Rbtbh.sys
Thanks

You might try this site (minus windowsexeallkiller) the information may be deleated but as always do a back up of the registry.
I'm neglecting to ask can you get into windows in safe mode?
What operating system?

A blue screen of death, also called a stop error, will appear when issue is so serious that windows must stop completely. A blue screen of death is usually hardware or driver related. Most BSODs show a Stop code that can be used to help figure out the root cause of the Blue Screen of Death.

I run windows 8 os, and I can go into safe mode if necessary. I also have a Ralink RT3290 wireless card. I am afraid I do not know how to back up my registry but I can find that so I will take a look. As for the malware infection, I suppose it might be, but I have been using SlimCleaner and Avast in conjunction to prevent malware and such. could one really get past the two together?

Upgrade to Windows 8.1, but before you do remove Avast. Windows 8 has its own antivirus and antimalware program built-in. Any addition of a 3rd party antivirus program will interfere with Windows 8 and cause instability. SlimCleaner should be okay to use

Quick question. Why would a third party antivirus interfere with Win8.1? I run Nod 32 for over a year now with no problems. I was just curious.

Nod32 is a purchased program isn't it? It might be able to "work" with Windows Defender without producing problems. It is the "free" antivirus programs that try to turn off or alter Windows firewall and Windows Defender that may cause instability. I run only Windows Defender and a temp file cleaner on my Windows 8.1 Enterprise edition. I don't have any problems either

Yes it is a paid program. The way I understand it. From what I have read. Windows turns off windows defender. When a third party antivirus is installed. But I still use windows firewall. I do not care for Nod32. Firewall'. Thanks for the answer. I really have not use any other antivirus in over ten years. So I have not ran across that problem. On any of my computers. I will make note of that. For future use.

Last edited:
Are you sure defender and firewall on 8.1 will be enough? whenever my computers have not had a program like avast, they have been excessively targeted by viruses in my opinion. my avast is paid as well, and has never seemed to cause me problems

Are you sure defender and firewall on 8.1 will be enough? whenever my computers have not had a program like avast, they have been excessively targeted by viruses in my opinion. my avast is paid as well, and has never seemed to cause me problems
Try using only Windows Defender and delete Avast completely. See if this solves your problems. If not, re-install Avast... Simple right?

Back