Identifying P4 type and Motherboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently decided to upgrade my Mobo and RAM but need to know a few things before I place an order. This is my first time doing this so...

First how do I identify which type of Pentium 4 chip I have so I can correctly choose the mobo and what will I have to look out for to match up with the chip?

I wanted to get something along the lines of the ASUS "P5GDC Deluxe" i915P Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU here: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-131-519&DEPA=1

Also is DDR2 really worth getting over DDR?

Thanks

i should also add that I have a p4 2.66 with 512kb L2 Cache just need to know the Socket number (I think)

Go here, and download Everest Home Edition. It will tell you everything you want to know, and it's free. Afer you install it, just click on "Motherboard" and then "CPU".

As far as the Ram goes, somenone else will have to help you on that, sorry.

when looking for a motherboard, I have the socket number ok but why is the system chipset important? is this on the motherboard or my processor. I mean, does it matter what chipset I get if I want to carry on using my socket 478

volume3k, I don't think your socket 478 will work with the board you are looking at. If I read right it is a socket 775. Now having said that, I am no expert in this and could be wrong. I am only postiing this so maybe someone else will jump in here with more knowledge than me.

Sorry I can't be more help.

yeah I changed it to the right socket one, I just wanted something along the lines of what that one had because of its PCI-Express slots and some of its other features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back