IE 6 running slow after uninstall of IE 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hearrean

I am a new member & hopefully I'm posting this in the right place for this topic. I have a HP Media Center PC running Windows XP. Back in February, I made a decision to upgrade to IE 7 from IE 6. I decided this past weekend that I wanted to revert back to IE 6. To keep this short, basically I did several things in trying to uninstall 7, tried uninstall from "add/remove" section, used a restore point to restore my system back a few days, etc. etc. My system became so buggy I had to get a tech out yesterday to get all my favorites back, completely remove IE 7 & get me back to IE 6. The problem now is that IE 6 is running much slower than it used to taking a long time to pull up sites from my favorites or those that I type into the address bar. Before the tech left, he cleaned out all my cookies, temp files, ran a spyware program, etc. However I didn't notice the slow explorer problem until after he left. I know enough about computers to be dangerous, but I'm guessing that maybe I have a corrupt registry, windows or something. (BTW, I'm using DSL for my internet).
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? How difficult is it to re-install Windows XP or should I? I have an OEM system so I didn't get any OS CD's with the unit. I understand all that's somewhere partitioned on my system....
Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Ken

Only this.Stay with IE7.It's better once you spend some time with it.
Post any problems you have useing it.
Reinstall it and go to Windows Update for add ons.

Thanks for the response, but if something is corrupted, wouldn't installing IE 7 again back over IE 6 just make things worse? Maybe I'm wrong, but something is causing IE 6 to now creep along when before the install of IE 7, it was super fast.

Ken

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

You probably didn't properly uninstall IE7.
It might be uninstalled at Windows update,but you have to install it
again to try that.You made a mess and i'm trying to fix it.
Whats wrong with useing IE7 ? anyway.It's better then 6.
I don't get you drift at all on this so called problem.

But if you insist,go here,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

Sorry, I wasn't trying to rebuke your advice. (After all, that's why I came here). I was only asking the question if my OS could be corrupted since my browser speed was horrible. (I had read somewhere that a slow browser could be a result of a corrupted registry or OS).
IE 7 has already been uninstalled! The tech who came out is the one who successfully uninstalled it since I had a hard time doing it and in trying to do so, I obviously screwed my system up. Even though I do not like IE 7, if that's the only fix for getting my browser back to a descent speed, that's what I'll do. But my original question was related to finding a fix for my browser speed and my preference for using IE 6.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Thats your choice

Did you check my MSoft link for removeing IE7 ?
If you have 6 now,go here and do all checks.Let me know how many
checkered flags and points you get.
You'll also get tips on speeding up your system and fixing browser problems.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Ok, I didn't have time to do this last night, but I will when I get in this afternoon. Now do I just do the scan and report back as you indicated, or do I go ahead and register & let their software correct the issues?

Thanks,

Ken

Hmmmm.... sounds like there may be more to this than a bad uninstall. To completely rule out all problems of IE being the cause:

1. Remove ANY versions of IE you have from your system.

2. Install the LATEST version of IE7.

3. Uninstall it. (This makes sure that all installed files were removed)

4.Install IE6 again.

Personally, along with many other TS users around here, I use Firefox as my internet browser. I am not saying not to use IE, in fact I do keep it on my system, but It is highly recommended, just ask anyone around here or research it. Try it, you may end up sticking with it... I did!

Sjbrand99 said:
Personally, along with many other TS users around here, I use Firefox as my internet browser. I am not saying not to use IE, in fact I do keep it on my system, but It is highly recommended, just ask anyone around here or research it. Try it, you may end up sticking with it... I did!

Thanks for the advice. Actually I failed to mention in my initial post that I had tried Firefox & really liked the looks and feel. Unfortunately I had a few links stored in my favs that it just wouldn't pull up. It would just sit there trying to connect, but never could. When I tried it with IE, there was no problem pulling them up. So I uninstalled it for then until I could get more info on why it wouldn't pull some sites up. I suppose I could have left it on my system, but as my profile states, I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to computers so I wasn't sure what leaving it on would do along side IE.
Once I get this current problem squared away & my system is back running as before, I may just try it again.

A note to "zipperman": I did a scan this morning off "pcpitstop" before leaving for work as you suggested & it reported tons of bad registry links, etc. I didn't write down pertinent #'s, but I'll do that late this afternoon when I get in. Maybe what it found is causing a lot of my problem..It did ask me to buy the software to get the problems fixed which I have no problem doing if it's safe & corrects my problem..

Ken

Free website price

Don't be concerned with the ads,it normal for free use sights.
But as you see it found many problems.Each one should give you suggestions
on improveing it.I always take their advice.They lead you right to the
location.Don't be too concerned about Disk Health if you regularly
Defrag and use Disk Cleanup.Thats a sales plug i figure.
Concentrate on your browser suggestions no matter what one it is as Windows is still involved to some degree.
But always take a chance that your ISP will help you get better performance from their service so call their Tech support to check your settings.
I have 1 suggestion for a Browser.Go to tools,Inet options,advanced.
Scroll down to Security and check
"Empty Temporary Inet Files when Browser is closed."
They are called Temporary for that session.
You should be adviced of space setting.Use 50.

Buy the software?

Now the scan only checks for errors & reports what it finds. To fix them, I need to buy the software for $29.95. I have no problem doing so, but I just want to make sure that is what you were recommending.

Thanks,

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back