IE 6 "Save Target As"

Status
Not open for further replies.
When ever I right click with mouse button over a avi file to download from a web site I chose the "Save Target As". When I click on this I`m unable to save file as a avi file, only a HTML document. Why

Usually this is caused by a special CGI, ASP, or other server side redirection script. When you right click on the link and go to "Properties".. Does it give you a valid link to an AVI file? Or does it not end with the extension AVI?

It is probably caused by some kind of "anti-leeching" script to prevent Download Accelerators/Managers from working, or to stop other websites linking directly to files.

Usually when that happens to me, its because the .avi file or whatever is referenced with a dead link, so instead of saving the .avi its saving a .html or .htm which is probably a 404 error message page.

So try to single left click and see if the .avi will open automatically in media player or whatever app you use or whether it leads to a 404 error page or something like that.

HOWEVER.... If this is happening to you EVERY TIME, then you have a problem.

I've had a quick gander in microsoft knowledge base about a problem where this always occurs, but couldn't see any specific answers. All I can suggest is that you try updating to the latest version of IE and apply any additional service packs and fixes from windowsupdate.microsoft.com and then try again. If this gives you no luck, post back and we will see if there is anything else that can be suggested....

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files folder. Sounds dumb but this actually does fix some save as problems in IE.

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files folder. Sounds dumb but this actually does fix some save as problems in IE.

I didn't think to mention that , but yes.... Clearing out those files can work wonders with a whole range of IE problems...

IE6 "Save Target As"

Thanks guys it seems that the site that contained the video clip no longer existed. i had used Netscape as well to test this out:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back