Ie 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuterGeekGirl

Here's the problem, everytime I reboot it resets the security, pop up blocker settings and all. Looks like its even tossing my cookies!

Anyone seen this or know of a fix? Let me know what other info may be useful.

thanks in advance

Sounds like spyware, web browser hijacking gone awry. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

hmm....ok, I've run all but the 3rd one and nothing major came up. I have all sorts of things on here (corporate pc) that protects from this (virus, anti spyware, etc) and it generally works pretty well! I'll grab that last one and see if it comes up w/ anything new.

Another guy here is seeing it too.....weird. thanks

If the problem continues after the AVG scan, try disabling the Corporate PC anti-spyware background process.

AVG AS is very thorough but it reports a lot that is not necessarily spyware. For instance, it reports ALL tracking cookies, even well known legitimate ones like Google. If you like to keep your favourite cookies, you'll need to review the reports carefully.

With all due respects, I consider ALL Tracking Cookies to be bad! Those 'favorite' Cookie we like to keep for our registrations and passwords are not usually "Tracking" Cookies.

cookies are NOT spyware/malware. They are designed to retain commonly inputted info into websites so you don't have to redundently re-enter stuff.

If you suspect spyware/malware, run the appropriate tools. Spybot search and destroy and ad-aware 2007 are excellent spyware tools. run your antivirus also.

IE7 is also a poor web browser. Use something like firefox or mozilla or opera.

And NO -firefox and mozilla are NOT the same browser.

"They are designed to retain commonly inputted info into websites so you don't have to redundently re-enter stuff."

You are only partially correct. Tracking Cookies are left on a system for the specific purpose of tracking the site the user visits. At times, specific ads will be based on this information and will be left on he user's system.

First party Cookies are the only ones that save the user name and password. All other Cookies are third party.

You are also incorrect regarding the browser. Mozilla has issued a free-standing browser called Firefox. It is usually referred to as the Mozilla Firefox- in fact, it is branded as Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla also has a suite which includes a browser. Perhaps that's what you're referring to:
http://ilias.ca/MozillavsFirefox

Tedster said:
cookies are NOT spyware/malware. .

Cookies can be one element of spyware. Although cookies alone cannot disable your comp, they can be part of what is spyware. The program collects information as you use your comp, stores them in cookies and sends the info to the originator's web site.

Spyware consists of many elements: files, processes, cookies, registry entries. Most spyware programs break down the items they detect into the various element types.

Tedster said:
And NO -firefox and mozilla are NOT the same browser.

Mozilla is the company that makes the Firefox web browser.

If you don't mind typing.....

I really don't think that auto-complete passwords are even close to an idea worth pursuing.
You can pretty much dump most to all the cookies. (The only cookies I have to keep are for my Verizon, Yahoo services).
I prefer to shop at say Amazon without the b******t greetings and recommendations et al.
Give me anonimity until I actually want to buy something, then trust me after you sign in, their server remembers your credit card number and shipping address like you've been best friends for ages.
You try to be nice, and let sites set cookies, and they put them in with expiration dates extending to the middle of the century. Oy, check keep cookies until I leave Firefox. The next trip to the website you'll be able to make friends all over again.

It's not a question of being 'nice'. Some site won't open if your browser doesn't allow Cookies. Many don't realize that they can set the kind of Cookies they will accept, such as accept 1st Party which is from the site itself and block or prompt for 3rd Party which is from all the other junk on the site.

It's also a matter of security for the user. Usually the browser will display 'do you want to remember' for user name and password. The user has a choice there of allowing a per session Cookie only or of keeping the Cookie. When selecting the Cookie choices you want, you will have to check 'override automatic Cookie handling.'

I don't keep any Cookies from the secure sites I use because I don't want them on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back