IE accounts for 95% of browsers - survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"How much will it cost us to screw Netscape?" read the immortal words of a leaked e-mail from Microsoft, back in the late 90's, where a senior manager was wondering just how much it would cost Micro$oft to win the browser wars and have the user thinking "IE" when he or she thought "Internet" for the rest of time.

Well, regardless of how much it cost, it looks like they have won. It was a long war, and Netscape put up a brave, brave fight. But in the end, the greater glory of Gates (you will be assimilated!) has won. You don't know the power of the Dark Side.

"Nineteen out of 20 surfers use IE as a browser, with Netscape a very distant second," writes The Register in an article here.

The situation is even gloomier for the likes of Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, etc, who have even more laughable useage percentages. There is a more fulsome breakdown of the situation here.

Think of all that tax payers money spent taking MS to court for integrating IE with the operating system. Did it make a jot of difference? Talk about it here.

Heh, I could have figured that M$ posted something about this. But I don't doubt it, since most of the average users out there use Windows, that comes standard with IE. As opposed to the few power users who use linux or beos that comes with mozilla or netscape.

Indeed Veh.

Viva la Mozzarella !!! :grinthumb

/me wonders why everyone is looking at him.

Was it something I said ? :confused:

Yeah, most harry homeowners use IE :(

Too bad considering how #¤%&! it is...

Oh, well... Opera and Netscape/Mozilla works great :)

And one thing, I wonder how accurate that survey is... Considering Opera defaults as identifying as IE...

IE is that bad?

I don't think IE is that bad, web pages are created to work on IE so they always load up fine. Also IE - since it is intergrated into the OS - opens super quick, as opposed to netscape which takes a few seconds on my computer.

Indeed SNGX. TS looks really messed up with Netscape; all the text boxes, tables, and everything else looks all out of proportion than it should be. vB is definitely optimized for IE...which is why I should just use it and stop being a rebel. Netscape mail is pretty nice though.

And I wouldn't say Netscape is so uncommon - there are many people using @netscape.net email addresses....6 Vehementi's to be exact ;) Not to mention all those damn Mac people using it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back