IE and malware issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhiannon

The other day I went to a new site, and I encountered an issue I never had before... When I tried to leave the site, the computer froze there. When I tried to close the window, I received an error message telling me that the site (or the window) I don't remember which... Was still busy, and it may do system damage to close it. Well what could I do, I closed it.

Ever since that time, when I switch back and forth between windows, I occasionally get a quick glance of a blue screen that says Internet Explorer, and I don't have time to see what else it says.

Now I want to know if you can please help me to determine what has happened here?

What Anti Virus and Malware are you using, any firewalls beside Windows firewall, any router?

What version of Windows and IE?[/quote]

I am using AVG Free, and I have Windows firewall. I don't know what a router is specifically, so I assume it is safe to say I do not use one. I use IE 7

I was planning to go ahead with the recommended malware removal procedure, but had to stop... For a couple of reasons. I have extremely limited RAM, and your recommendations involve a lot of downloading, and secondly, you are asking me to use RegCure... This is a product which caused extensive damage to my Windows program last year. Is it okay to skip the Reg Cure, as well as delete the downloaded programs as soon as I have run them? Or will doing this cause more issues?

Hi Rhi ^^,

Umm, I don't see any mention of using Regcure on the page you were pointed to by Sharam in post #2 ...

So you have limited hard drive storage space? Using Ccleaner as instructed will free up some, maybe a lot of space for you :)

Deleting the downloaded installers should be fine - but wait until after you have been given the all clear - some may be standalone programs.

Cheers,

Taff.

Taff is correct.

Doesn't hurt to attempt some cleanup but with you being redirected, you should post these question on that forum and wait for instructions.

Again, you are being redirected, this alone points to infection, TechSpot does not recommend or have Regcure available for download on the links I provided.

This thread should be moved to the Virus and Malware Removal Forum IMHO.

I suppose you move it?

I am kind of new here yet, and am unaware of how this works, I suppose you move the thread? Hope Hope....Cos I don't know how!

And one more thing... Do I need to disable Windows Firewall and AVG Free to continue? How do I disable AVG Free?

I was told to put this here so that you know what has already been discussed on this thread. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123320.html

I also need to know if given the fact that I have some type of infection, is it possible It has been transferred to my website?

Thanks kimsland, was going to PM you with request to move, wasn't sure if that was OK.

Apparently Rhiannon has some issues performing the 8 steps, why I asked to be moved here so she can get additional steps how to stop the re-directs and carry on with the scans.

Malware log information

I am sorry, but I have to cut and paste the Mbam log, as it is not where the path says it should be... Hmm, I ran the alalysis, and I did not correct anything, as I know nothing about what should be checked and what should not.

When I last ran AVG Free it had said it had moved eight tracking cookies to the Virus Vault.

Here is the Mbam log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1817
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/4/2009 7:33:26 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-04 (19-33-26).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 75038
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Rhiannon did you actually want help? Or are you just posting for the fun of it?

I'm better off helping those in need I feel

You can either do what I recommended above, including the 8-step removal guide, not this thing:
Logfile of random's system information tool 1.05 (written by random/random)
Run by judy at 2009-01-04 09:21:05
Anyway your choice. I won't reply until you do the above, and attach the 3 logs stipulated in that guide

Good luck :grinthumb

No it is not for the fun of it, and the problem is that I am on dial-up on a very irritatingly slow computer, and I thought that I had remembered the last few instructions, I guess I made a mistake. I have no concept by the way of what a correct log file looks like. I am surprised to see I am berated for a simple mistake; especially after I spent the entire day preparing this information that you had requested. I appreciate the help though.

I just ran Antivira, and am told that it quarantines two Trojan horses.

I saved the log from that too, and am having problems locating all of the logs that I kept. The paths show, but when I try to attach them, they are not there, do you know what I am saying? How do I deal with this?

I am now sure after having time to reflect, that I can easily go elsewhere and get some RESPECT. It seems to be a commodity alack... With some people around here. Too bad, it looks like you might have some good qualities too, but sniping at forum members wont bring people running here.

I have had a business for many years, and am worldly in areas other that computer maintenance. I do not appreciate being spoken to as if daft. I don't even care enough about your behaviour to go into such detail; except for one thing, your negativity is going to come back and bite you on the ***, and when it does, remember I told you so.

Goodbye!

It may be because you have other logs attached (ie above) and if you use the same name they may not attach.

Mind you, we need
HijackThis log
SuperAntispyware log
Malwarebytes log

But this should have been posted at Post#3 and we are now at #16 (and #17 with your next post)

Being on Dial-Up (which is nearly obsolete, but to save the reply, of which you can only get) is going to be difficult to do all these updates and downloads, and log uploads. If you have anyway of taking it to some high speed Internet access, that would be great, but to save the reply I suppose not possible

Anyway, what we do here is check the logs and advise you what you need to do, therefore we presently cannot. Except for what was stated in post #12
So we seem to be stuck.

If you do post #12 (above ^^) at least you will be much better off
So do your best at that, at least.

edit:

Oh I see you replied, whilst I was writing !

You can either do what I recommended above, including the 8-step removal guide, not this thing:

Anyway your choice. I won't reply until you do the above, and attach the 3 logs stipulated in that guide

Good luck :grinthumb
May be the system's date and time was not set or altered somehow!?

hmmm, me quoting you doesn't include you're quote in reference to the date!

Let me try

Good luck
:grinthumb
You're right it doesn't do the date;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back