TechSpot

IE crashes when run

By RStriker69
Feb 15, 2005
  1. Running under Xp, I've recently noticed that IE crashes whenever it attempts to do anything. I have the homepage set to about:blank, and it runs fine, but if I attempt to go to a web page, or access any options it crashes with something along the lines of "This program has performed an illegal operation and must be closed". I don't have access to the machine at the moment for the exact error.

Incidentally, if I set the homepage to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ it won't crash, it just stays at a blank white screen, until I try to load another page, or the options menu, at which point it crashes.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Your PC might have been hijacked.
    Go to this post here first, and follow the instructions EXACTLY.
    How to remove Begin2Search/Coolwebsearch and Other Nasties
    Then see How to post your Hijackthis log-files.

Also, try NOT to use IE, but go to www.getfirefox.com and install Firefox.
    Use IE strictly for Windows-updates.
    Within IE, ActiveX has probably been deactivated (for security reasons within SP2), which might cause your problems. Also, if you have another firewall, make sure to switch of the XP-internal one.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.