IE plug-in for Quicktime movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Can anyone point me to an alternative plug-in for IE7 and avant browser that can be my default for playing Quicktime movies on-line. Why not use the free Quicktime plug-in, you ask ? Because it will not allow saving the movie to hard disk - you need to pay for the 'pro' version for that, and I refuse.

This arises because one of my favourite sites (Astronomy picture of the day) has recently taken to using Quicktime for the educational movies they provide, somewhat missing the point that people who want to save those movies for eductional or reference purposes are going to have to pay.

Since the educational movies they play are most likely copyrighted, copying them is a violation of the law. That would explain the shift to a non-copyable (or not-easilly copyable) player perhaps.

:)

That is not a factor. The site is run on an unpaid basis on behalf of NASA for the US government educational outreach program. Images on the site are copyright of the people supplying them, which are any astronomers around the world, most of whom are of course supported by various governments under international agreements.

At least half the movies that do appear are not in Quicktime format, they are gif or jpg, occasionally avi.

Copyright law forbids reproduction for gain without permission of the copyright owners, but not copying for personal educational use only.

Finally, if you happen to pay for the 'pro' version of Quicktime, there is nothing preventing you from saving the image locally for the above reasons.

My point is that the people who run the site are not professionals in any sense other than being professional astronomers, and have probably no idea they are making things a little more difficult than they need to !

Have you sent them a polite note to that effect?

And their site does say this:

"Some of the images are copyrighted and to use these pictures publicly or commercially one must write to the owners for permission. For the copyrighted images, the copyright owner is identified in the APOD credit line (please see the caption under the image), along with a hyperlink to the owner's location. NASA images are in the public domain, official guidelines for their use can be found here. For images credited to other owners/institutions, please contact them directly for copyright and permissions questions."

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=985335

:)

Quite so. Just as I said.......

Yes, I did send an email advising them of the problem, some weeks ago. I got no reply.

Thanks for the link which is a useful cludge. But far batter to remove Quicktime - which is suffering a BAD case of gigantitis, call-home-daily-to-mama, and I-can-do it-ALL. How I long for the old days of plug-ins to do one job and that do that one job extremely efficiently and quickly.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back