IE won't browse, Firefox will

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNemo

This problem is driving me crazy because it seems the solution should be simpler.

Windows XP SP2 machine. All Microsoft updates performed.

IE 6.0 won't browse correctly. It usually goes to the first page, and then if you type a URL, it hands for, oh, 5 minutes, and just says "Done" on the status bar. Sometimes it refuses to acknowledge that it is connected and attempts to use dial-up settings. Firefox works fine. Other info- the machine pumps out like 8 General Host Process errors (all the same, though) at every startup here:

C:\DOCUME~1\LISASP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4bde.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\LISASP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4bde.dir00\appcompat.txt

This apparently began on this computer and moved to two brand new duo core Dells at this small office on a workgroup.

What I've tried, loosely in order:

*Can ping gateway, can ping google.com
*chkdsk
*SAV 10.4 corp. updated- found nothing, clean
*AdAware- found a few things, now clean
*HiJackThis- VERY little now in startup, mostly SAV stuff
*sfc/ Scannow, clean
*Generic Host Process hotfix (didn't remove GHP errors)
*Regclean
*CCleaner
*netsh winsock reset catalog
*Reinstalled IE 6.0
*Tried 7.0, uninstalled it (wouldn't even connect)
*MS Defender/anti-spyware beta 2
*Symantec MBlast Worm tool
*WinsockXP fix
*TrojanHunter 4
*Checked Autoruns
*Uninstalled Dell printer drivers and software for some crap free printer (a810) they got (thought it could cause Generic Host Process errors, as I've heard of some crappy HP all in one and some Dells doing it).
*Checked HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9
and of course run and runonce.

Basically, I'm not sure where to go from here. I was going to try to reinstall SP2, and then I don't know what to do. I was going to run a few other anti-spyware tools, maybe Spybot and Spysweeper. Also, this is my first post, and I'm pretty new to this. Maybe you could advise whether my troubleshooting pattern is ok, or whether some of the stuff is redundant or moot, or the wrong order, or had nothing to do with the symptoms.

Thanks,

Shane Barber

It seems your system might be infected with viruses/spyware etc.

Go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll advise.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of MrNemo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

hijackthis log

Hello, thanks so much for taking time to help me.

Attached is the log. It seems rather clean.

I also tried the VCleaner but it didn't find anything. Spysweeper and Spybot also were run. Topically, this thing is sterile. What am I missing? That USB global startup entry is legit, btw.

I know I am not that experienced, but this one just seems WEIRD.

Thanks for everything.

Yep, that`s one clean HJT log.

All I can suggest, is doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. That should fix any corrupt or missing system files that might be causing your problem with IE.

Regards Howard :)

try clearing your cache/temporary i.net files and cookies?

Addition: Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet Files [Delete Files] [Delete Cookies]

perform a Web Settings Reset

Tools>Internet Options>Programs Tab [Reset Web Settings]
"---">Advanced Tab [Restore Defaults]

check connection settings are correct (assuming you got a router/network internet share happening)

Tools>Internet Options>Connections Tab [oNever Dail a Connection]
""---">[Lan Settings]>Automaticaly Detect settings [Ok] [Ok]
Restart IE (close and open again)

where [instruction] denotes a button/option to press etc.. i think you can figure it out...

Thanks for the clear instructions. I'll make sure all of that is covered before trying a windows repair. I appreciate your help.

Strangely, now IE WILL browse, but only via links. Typing in a URL results in nothing loading. I guess it is time to recover, format, and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back