IE6 problems and wireless networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have a guy who is having problems with accessing secure pages in IE6 when he tries to connect through his network on his laptop. It is a toshiba laptop with a Netgear WG511T wireless network card.
His desktop is wired to a Linksys router and his broadband modem. He has no problems at all with this setup but when he tries to connect with the laptop to secure sites it won't open the page but all other pages open without a problem.
I have lowered his security settings in IE6 but to no avail. I suspect it may be a problem with the wireless network card but have checked through the software with the card and there does not seem any way to chabge security features to lower them is necessary.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

the network card doesn't care what site you access. Matter of fact, if the card can connect to the router, the card is doing its job. The problem is most likely in the browser settings or maybe firewall settings. Maybe even an ad/popup blocker.

The only security features I've ever seen on a wireless card are related to encryption on the router(WEP, LEAP, etc...)

Thanks Storm, you have more or less confirmed my own thoughts. As you say the only security options with the card do seem to be the WEP settings.
He doesn't have any firewall in place, which was my first thought, he did have Norton Internet Security 2004 installed which stopped working and then he coudn't reload it. This suggested to me a possible virus problem but I ran Stinger which didn't find anything (basic I know) maybe I need to run a more thorough virus check.
I shall have to go back and check settings again, maybe even try a repair on IE6, the laptop is only a few weeks old so I can't believe it has gone too crazy yet.

It could be something in the router setup, if the desktop is the DMZ computer, and the latptop is just another user. The DMZ gets everything sent through to it, while others might not be able to receive all information unless it is specified in the settings somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back