Ie6 Sp1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

This morning I was doing some repair work for a client and while I was there he asked me to do some updates on his systems, everything went fine except for the IE6 update. I downloaded the setup file, ran it and it was fine till it actually started installing. I got an error at that point that said something like: "Some of the components you are installing have not passed Windows Logo Certification and will not be installed" That isn't an exact quote but close. Anyway, the install progress continued so I let it complete, when it finished as box popped up showing that the following had not been installed:

IE 6 Web Browser
IE Expansion Pack
Outlook Express
IE Readme

The same thing happened on all six machines. Everything seems fine, it just did not install anything.

does anyone know anything about this? Any causes of it, a way around it? Maybe Why IE is not logo certified?

Maybe you can get around it if you download the IE install packages and do the actual install locally?

you could loosen up your driver signing options if you are using windows 2000 pro or above. BUT BE CAREFUL, that might make your net admin a bit upset.
To get there using windows xp pro,
right click on the My Computer Icon on the desktop, select properties...
Click the Hardware Tab, under the device manager section click the driver signing button...
Change the option to warn....

That should get it to install. The directions for windows 2000 should be similar.

Originally posted by krowdpeleeza
you could loosen up your driver signing options if you are using windows 2000 pro or above. BUT BE CAREFUL, that might make your net admin a bit upset.
To get there using windows xp pro,
right click on the My Computer Icon on the desktop, select properties...
Click the Hardware Tab, under the device manager section click the driver signing button...
Change the option to warn....

That should get it to install. The directions for windows 2000 should be similar.

I am aware of how to change those options, but this has nothing to do with drivers. Besides, those options have already been changed so that it asks rather than denies...

I did try the MSKB thing earlier and it didn't work either. I have also since found a full install of IE6 SP1 that I was able to get from another technician, it gives the same problem. :confused:

I have looked over the systems to see if there were anything that might would cause this but found nothing out of the ordinary. These systems are pretty much the same as they were when the business bought them. They are Dells with Windows XP Pro, MS Office XP Pro, NAV 2002, and NIS 2002. Thats pretty much all that is on the machines. They have all updates for everything except IE6 SP1.

Why don't you look on the CDs that come with various magazines? I got a full IE6 SP1 from one of those (it was on a CD from a UK-mag, so no use to you in the USA)

It is 45.4MB so a bit too big for emailing it.

Check with your buddies. If all else fails, you can order IE6 SP1 on a CD direct from Micro$oft.

I already stated that I had got a full install from another technician and tried it. And yes, I varified that it was good before trying it on the machines.

You stated that all those PCs were Dells, with probably all their software also installed by Dell.
This makes me wonder if those IE6's were not "branded" by Dell, thus causing the un-signed problem.
Perhaps a re-install of IE6 with a "neutral" version might over-write those un-signed files.
Worth a try on 1 machine

Guess I forgot to reply when I got this fixed. Thanks to someone at the location who tried to fix it themselves after I'd left that day, I was given the tak of restoring all the machines to their original state. Yeah, they had completely hosed the OS on all that they had tried to fix. After restoring them, the installs went fine. Though all this tells me is that things had been changed that I could not initially detect, since as far as I knew, they were all supposed to have been just as they were shipped except for the updates and stuff.

Try this it workes for me.
First, download the IE6 SP1 setup program from Micro$oft and same it in a folder. Then go to the folder where you've placed the above file. Open a Command Prompt (CMD) in that folder, then run the following command in the CMD window:

ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

Note: Just copy and paste the above line so you get the syntax right. This tip works for IE 6 SP1 too, and so will IE 5 and IE 5.5. Just replace the "6" in the previous line with a "5".

You can also choose to download all IE versions in one go. For example, if you choose to download the version for Win9X, the version for NT, the version for W2K, and the version for Win ME - all the files will go to one location - a folder named "Windows Update Setup Files" - and you can then burn this folder to a CD and use it to install IE on any OS version you want.

Can you not read? PROBLEM SOLVED
And to all you who offered ways of installing from the full install of IE, if you could read, you'd have noticed several replies back, that I HAVE A COPY OF THE FULL INSTALL ON A CD!

If people would bother to read an entire thread before responding, they could cut down on a great deal of the clutter and trash that gets posted here.

your problem was solved by resinstalling the OS. that's not a good solution, so there's no need to complain about others still trying to post a "real" solution for those that may be interested in it.

alphnumeric, thanks a lot! I've been working on this for a week and this worked perfectly. not sure how you discovered this but awesome solution!

Originally posted by alphnumeric
Try this it workes for me.
First, download the IE6 SP1 setup program mmand Prompt (CMD) in that folder, then run the following command in the CMD window:

ie6setup.exe /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

There's also no need to bump a 6 months old thread without bringing any solution to the problem.;)

*edit* you can also use the edit button rather then post 5 replies ina row too.:p

You can download IE6. IE is also included on the CDs of some popular software, such as Office or Norton. But I'm not sure if that includes IE6 (May be 5.5 or 5 depending on the version) and it certainly isn't the "latest" version with all the updates etc.... But you can always take care of that later.

Here are the instructions to download and store the files for a network installation using the "active setup" installer:
http://www.petri.co.il/download_the_full_ie_package.htm

This site also has a 100mb file that says "IE Full installer" for version 6
http://saturn.med.nyu.edu/it/help/windows/downloads/

And it's out there.. You just have to search around for it.

A Windows repair on 98, Me, 2000 or XP (rather than reinstalling) should also reinstall Internet Explorer... Simliar to upgrading the Windows using the same or later version of the OS.

I admit I haven't followed this thread, but hopefully this will solve something somewhere out there or be of some help to someone. :) This is a common question too, so there's the answer to IE6 downloading.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Can you not read? PROBLEM SOLVED
And to all you who offered ways of installing from the full install of IE, if you could read, you'd have noticed several replies back, that I HAVE A COPY OF THE FULL INSTALL ON A CD!

If people would bother to read an entire thread before responding, they could cut down on a great deal of the clutter and trash that gets posted here.

I don't remeber seeing your other post when I started mine so I wouldn't have seen it untill after I posted mine. But don't worry about me "cluttering up" :rolleyes: one of your posts again. With an atitude like that, you won't get any help from me ever again.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back