TechSpot

IE7 Hompage stuck on MSN.COM & other odd behavior

By nwyllie
Aug 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't usually use IE7. I prefer Firefox. But there are a few pages that will not work with Firefox, and my wife is used to IE7. Since my computer came back from Compaq for repairs I noticed that my IE7 home page is msn.com (www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?pid=ie&clcid=0). I changed this to my usual homepage, the same one I use for Firefox, but upon reaccessing the options I see it's not changed and is still as noted above. I've run virus and spyware checks and found nothing.

Another odd thing I noticed is I try to access a certain web site for video (www.cbs.com) I am told that the video may not be viewed outside the US! I'm in Utah, and it may be debatable if that is outside the US. But I think for this purpose it would be considered US.

So does anyone have any idea what is going on or what I can check?
  2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl Newcomer, in training Posts: 668

It`s been fixed in the registry,by either an anti spyware program -Spysweeper, Windows Defender,Spybot SDD etc. or Compaq.

For both solutions,see HERE

Also, make sure these two keys are present,with a DWORD value of 1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\RunOnceHasShown

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\RunOnceComplete

See HERE

As for CBS and it`s anti-Mormon stance.The only thing I can think of is that your using

a proxy server of some sort,or your ISP is based in Canada or somewhere outside the U.S
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.