TechSpot

Iexploer won't browse, but I can ping

By Yaesu
Jan 25, 2005
  1. I've tried many, many solutions today. Via winsocket fixes and safe mode tweaks. I have a customer computer that just will not browse no matter what I do. I even reinstalled IE and firefox, nothing will browse. I set manual DNS, and got the same.

I noticed in the info bar in IE it said it was connectiong to www.www.msn.com.net Last I checked that's wrong lol. However, I can't seen to fix the issue no matter who's advice I take. Customer messed it up because I just formatted the system 2 weeks ago and worked great. Since I don't know what he did, I have to go step by step. I'm out of steps.

Even tried other network cards, just for the hell of it.

Thanks in advance.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. Arthurik_jan

Arthurik_jan TS Member Posts: 45

I had the same problem. Whatever I wrote in the address bar e.g. www.google.com it turned it into www.www.google.com.net

I even tried typing just google and pressed CTRL+ENTER and it still didn't work but after a few hours of searching the web with MSN Explorer (which comes with Win XP) I finally found a cure. First I downloaded AVG Free Edition from www.grisoft.com then the free ad-aware remover personal edition from www.lavasoft.com then I downloaded and opened this file:
    www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

and then this one:
    www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

:grinthumb after I did that, it started working again. A few of my friends had the same problem and it worked for them. I don't know if you have XP or some other OS but if you do have XP then this will help (oh and don't forget to update your Windows)

Peace

4. Yaesu

Yaesu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up trying restoring windows and that worked. I just have to reinstall SP2 and a few drivers. Only dowside is the system is hanging at starup for like 2-3mins, but works fine after that.

5. ClaytonHailey

ClaytonHailey TS Rookie

Ping works but cannot use browser.

One item you may want to check is whether the proxy settings have been set. This is under LAN settings (Tools, Internet Options, Lan Settings). If you are on a corporate network running your own DNS, Active Directory etc. then quite possibly you may be using a proxy server (particularly if your corporate network utilizes IIS). However, if this is not the case, then uncheck the Proxy Server setting.

Thanks
    Clayton

6. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Reset IE Settings to default

Also you might wanna follow the instructions found here; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

7. Yaesu

Yaesu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

lol 3 year old post. I was emailed u replied to my post. I don't even remember the computer.

Better late then never though eh?

8. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,272

Thread closed. Please don't resurrect old threads.
    Read carefully before you start to post. In such a case, report the post rather than replying to it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.