If I build it, they will come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am intending to build my first computer, and consequently, this will be my first post on these website. I ask that you all take a look at what I've played with, tell me where Im going wrong and suggest what things I might change for the best bang for my buck. And while we're on that topic, my budget for this new computer is around $ 1,500. I guess the only other thing you need to know is I am not at all where I'd like to be in terms of an understanding with Hardware. So don't let up if you think I've done something ignorant, because chances are I have.

What I have done is used a computer building website service, (Ibuypower) and built a mock 'puter of what I think I want! My next step was using newegg and seeing just how much I could save, etc. etc. Without further adoe, my website-serviced machine I built:

PSupply: 800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) a cooling agent for the processor comes with it ([New !!!] INTEL Certified Liquid CPU Cooling System kit )
Mobo: [SLI] MSI P7N SLI-FI Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB
Ram: 4096MB [1024MB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand
Memory: 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
Video Card: GeForce 880 GT 1 gb.
CD/DVD Drive: 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Sound Card: Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Protection: Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator

After I did this, the total was $ 1, 535.00

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
So next I tried to Newegg the same computer.

PSupply: ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 800W ATX12V / EPS12V --->($199.99)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor ---> ($189.99)
Mobo: MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard with SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Audio ---> ($219.99)
Ram: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory ****Dont know what Im looking at here, or if this even compares with the Ibuypower RAM**** --->($86.50)

Memory: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ****Once again, not sure if this would even work?**** ---> ($89.99)
Video Card: ASUS EN8800GT/HTDP/1GB GeForce 8800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card ****This left me clueless**** ---> ($169.99)
DVD Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc Beige 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615 ---> ($17.99)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card ---> ($29.99)
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD ---> ($99.99)
Protection: OPTI-UPS SS1200BLK 6 Outlets Voltage Stabilizer ---> ($21.99)

Combined Shipping = $41.83
Grand Total = $1, 168.24

Therefore, I was looking at 1535 - 1169, which equalled around $366 in savings. Though this means I wouldn't have a warranty ordering my own stuff, as well as slapping the risk that I botch something when I try and make it my self!

Thanks in advance for anything you may have to say about my thread,

Pig

I would DEFINATELY go with the build, as it is not only savings, you get the experience.

The thing I do know about is this: I would go with a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive, as they are most well known and very good drives. The ram and GPU looks good, but, I am not too sure about the Power supply, as I don't know that brand. May I recommend PC Power and Cooling, or a brand that someone on here recommends?

I would re-examine your decision on the power suppy. A higher quality unit with less power would perhaps be a better choice. You probably do not need 800 Watts as much as you need quality, steady output of amps.
Samsung HDD with 3 year warranty vs Seagate with 5 year warranty is better choice.
Liquid cooling of CPU is a troublesome unit... Why not get a high quality fan based Zalman:
Be careful not to get Value RAM... slower and more problematic. The Sony NEC at $17 is about what it is worth... Consider Plextor, Phillips, Yamaha, LG, LiteOn, or Samsung as a longer lasting choice.
Overall it looks good, and a fun build.... though I would not pick MSI over Gigabyte or Intel.

First off, SLI is not worth the performance benefit, since most of this only shows up at extremely high resolutions with lots of AA and AF. Also, two cards will produce more heat and consume more power than a single more powerful card, besides the fact that you do not get full performance out of the second card, despite paying the full price for it.

Next, I'd recommend an ordinary 512MB 8800GT, since the 1GB of RAM is practically useless, unless you're gaming at very high resolutions.

In addition, I'd choose a Seagate ES.2 drive over the Samsung you picked purely for the warranty period of 5 years, as raybay pointed out.

Also, I'd recommend the ASUS 20X SATA burner on Newegg compared to your current choice. It's a rebranded Pioneer, so it's much more superior to the Sony burner.

Lastly, the Corsair 750TX will provide plenty of power for your system, even for SLI and be cheaper than that Tagan unit, which is also an excellent one, but too pricey IMO.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back