IFSHLP.SYS error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali...

I don't know if anyone can help with this. I recently upgraded my PC and decided to give the old one away. The old one is an emachine ME. I then deleted all the files etc from it. However, now when I turn it on I get the following message on a blue screen:

'The Microsoft installable file system manager cannot find the helper driver. Please ensure that the IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.'

And that's it. I can't get off that screen. I've tried re-starting it over and over again but nothing happens. I won't even start in safe mode.

I have been advised to try the ME startup disk to re-boot it. That's where things get even worse. I don't have a startup disk. Or a recovery disk. And the only ones I have seen to download have to be saved to a floppy disk. And my new PC does not have a floppy drive!

Please help!

Ali

ali,
you are going to have to get your hands on a Windows Me install disk, and be able to boot from the CD. If you can't do this, not much else can be done. You will have to give it to someone who can reinstall the operating system

thanks

Oh dear. I must have done something very very wrong!

Don't suppose you have any idea where I can get my hands on the ME install disk? I've never heard of the disk on CD, Only ever on floppy.

Thanks anyway

Ali

Hello Ali,
yes Microsoft has been using CD's for their installs since Windows 98. You have to be very careful when deleting files, and we all have made this kind of mistake, so don't worry. Do you know someone that can help you with this? As I said Windows Me will have to be reinstalled. I can't help you do this without you having a Windows Me CD. I have one here, but I repair all types of computers and electronic equipment

ME Startup disk

Hi,

Would you mind if I asked you where you got your ME startup disk from? It doesn't have to be downloaded. I don't mind buying one if I only knew where to go to get it

Ali

a "startup disk" is a dos based disk to boot your PC with and present you with a command prompt to help fix stuff with. You can get this from googleing for Bootdisks.

a Windows ME disk/CD is a disk with the whole operating system on there so you can install from it etc. Also bootable. You can try your luck with getting this one from Ebay or second hand tech shops, and maybe some PC shops may have a few left in stock..

i think you want to try and get the latter.

Windows Me startup disks are not as good as a Windows 98 statup disk. You can make one by going to Bootdisk.com and downloading a Windows 98 startup disk utility from there. The download will create a Windows 98 startup disk on a floppy. You use this floppy to boot your Windows Me system into DOS (Disk Operating System). From the A prompt, you will be able to perform a lot of things needed to get your Emachines running once again. You will still need a Window Me install CD to install a fresh copy of Windows Me. I can help you with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back