Im admin of my comp, how do i block programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am the admin of my computer and i want to be able to stop programs from running. i dont mean pop ups or adware or stuff., but i want to stop an actual program (game) from running. ive tried looking in admin tools but clueless to what i should do.. plz help and thnx

You mean, you don't want other users to be able to load the game?
If you do, then you could try encrypting the file, that way only the encrypter (you) can access it. You can do this with all files, only if you have NTFS file system.

There's probably a better way of doing it, but I dunno :)

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Well, one way to partially prevent applications from running is to edit registry a bit.

This works only with applications started using Windows Explorer and only with specific filenames, hence partially ("Run" command from Start Menu and desktop are parts of Windows Explorer).

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer.

Create a key (if it doesn't exist) called DisallowRun.

Inside the key add string values of filenames you don't want Explorer to start.

As far as I know, this will then apply for every file regardless of its location, so if you for example add setup.exe there you won't be able to install many applications.

Or when you install some programs it will ask you for whom you wish to run it. Simply make sure you are logged in as yourself and choose only this user.

um its a downloading program like kazaa but i dont want other .. not sure wat else... isnt there something i can do in admin tools?

If this is XP pro, go to run and type in gpedit.msc

There is an option in there to block programs from running (named software policy or some such)

After you make your changes in gpedit, run gpupdate (forces the changes to commit without a reboot)

TheGreatTK, great way to dig a file up three and a half year old, no one is looking for any response on a question this far in the back.

TheGreatTK said:
If this is XP pro, go to run and type in gpedit.msc
YES! This is the correct means to control the program usage.

>Create a key (if it doesn't exist) called DisallowRun.

Use this with great caution! First, it stops the program for EVERYONE, all the time,
and if you place this on a system program, like explorer.exe, you just shot yourself
in the HEAD!

dehumanization said:
..you could try encrypting the file, that way only the encrypter (you) can access it.
Only XP/PRO has that feature AND it's very dangerous if you change your login
password.

search this site for EFS Encryption for more details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back