TechSpot

I'm an oldie, but a goodie & just not understanding some things

By kathy61017
May 13, 2005
  1. Hello to all. I am having a problem with too many programs running in the background. I have a HP Pavilion model # 563w, running Windows XP Home Edtion. Processor speed 2387 MHz, 503MB of memory, 43366MB of free hard drive space. I was trying to install Verizon DSL and things were going well, till I found out I have too many programs running (like 54) and I'm not sure which ones I can eliminate (or uncheck). I tried calling Verizon Support, but he said he wasn't sure what programs to uncheck and which ones to keep. So in turn I called HP, but they said for a fee (like $90) they could help me....well I am on disability, & I can not afford that. So maybe someone could steer me in the right direction.
    Thank you so much,
    Kathy from North Tonawanda, NY

Posting your e-mail address in public sites will only lead to it being detected by spammers.
    --Mictlantecuhtli

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Hi and welcome to TechSpot.

First, read How to remove Begin2Search / CoolWebSearch.

If you have problems, please post them to "Windows OS" subforum.

This "Introduce yourself" subforum is for introducing yourself, nothing more.

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Welcome

You came to the right place.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you click start and select run, and type msconfig into the run box, you will be presented with a window. Now click on the startup tab and the programmes you can see are the ones that start alongside Windows when you start your computer.

You can uncheck any programmes that you don`t want or need.

Once you have finished click apply and then ok. You will have to restart your computer in order for the changes to take effect.

When your computer restarts you will be presented with a dialogue box informing you that you have used msconfig to make changes.

Just tick the box that says not to show or run msconfig the next time you start your computer.

Also you can click start and select settings and then controll panel.

Once in control panel double click on the add remove programmes icon, this will open up a window that will show you what programmes you have on your computer. You can remove any programmes that you don`t use or need from here.

After you have done this restart your computer again.

Now click start, and select programmes, then accessories, then system tools.

Select disk cleanup. Make sure all the check boxes are ticked, and then click On the more options tab of the disk cleanup tool. You can also delete all your restore points except for the latest one. This will free up quite a lot of disk space, especially if you`ve got a lot of restore points. Be aware that once you delete the restore points you wont be able to restore your system to an earlier time except for the one restore point that will be left.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

P.s Following Mictlantecuhtli`s advice is a very good idea, as it will help you get rid of any spyware etc that you may have.

5. Welcome to the forums kathy :)

6. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 497

Hello and Welcome :wave: :wave:

7. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

welcome to techspot

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

There's a nifty little applet program you can download called startup editor.

It's free and is a tiny program you can run from your control panel.

Here's the link: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.