I'm buying a new computer and worried about transferring data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I wonder if someone could help me. I'm buying a new computer tomorrow. I'm also buying an external hard drive so that I can transfer all my files from one computer to the other and then also for a back-up facility for the future. The main elements I want to transfer are:

1) all my music files from one computer to the other and upload into ITunes in my new computer without having to spend hours amending the song information i.e. its taken me months to the get the ITunes Music Library into the set out I want it to be.
2) all pictures & saved documents.
3) Favourites - I want to be able to transfer all favourites
4) I use Microsoft Outlook every day for my email usage and also calendar facilities and wondered if there was an easy way of transferring all this data across without having to start from afresh.

If someone could tell me what exact files I need to copy to ensure I get all of the above transferred across that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Amanda

Hi

I believe Itunes will need to be installed on your new pc, im not sure if there is a way of transferring your current setting to your new pc however.

Favourites and the like can be transferred using the transfer wizard in XP, as for outlook it stores your emails in a PST file, its in your profile do a search for *.PST using the search function, the simply copy it over, when outlook is installed on the new PC simply open outlook so that it creates a new PST file then copy the old one over it.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back