I'm conducting a small project about sexism in the IT industry...

Do you think that sexism is a prevalent issue in the IT industry?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it's not a big deal.

• Maybe a bit.

• Not at all.

• Total voters
Hi there, I'm new to the forum but I've had a look around and you look like a nice enough bunch :)

I was wondering if I could ask for some help on something, though - I'm studying on a CISCO and City & Guilds adult course at college at the moment and I have a subsidiary class on user support, presentation skills etc.

I have been asked to conduct a debate/presentation about men, women and sexism in the IT industry. I.e. Is there a sexism issue? If so, why and what forms does it take? Do you feel that the input or services of men or women are held in unbalanced esteem for any reason? Has anyone here experienced sexism in the work place?

Any input will be most helpful; I'd like have a good mixture of perspectives from men and women, if possible.

Thanks,

RainyDays

"I don't know/not sure"

It is hard to say when practically everyone has a perspective from a relatively small population when compared to the rest of the world. Just look at all the major cities and ask, if they have this problem as a whole regardless of profession. The little backwater town I'm in shouldn't would hardly count for anything when casting a vote.

From my perspective women haven't wanted the position. It is not as if they want it and are being denied. But then I am from a small town and have little contact with someone who might pursue this profession.

I suggest you abort the presentation right now. No good will come from it. If you want to continue - are you male? If yes, then you need to say "there is some evidence of sexism towards females" no matter what data you collect.

I have no sexism in my workplace, but that may be skewed because it's at a university with employees who each have a degree and so are educated.

Likewise, I agree with Cliff above that females usually don't want to get into I.T. (not because of sexism), and I actually see campaigns to get more of them in the industry.

6 yrs getting my degrees Comp Sci plus 25 years experience in the industry. I went to school with and worked along with many different women over the years. I agree there's more men in the industry then female. That said, at least from my own experience, I honestly can't recall any instance of sexism.

But I voted "not really" as there's may be some. But I think technology is a great "equalizer". If you're good, I think you're respected by others.

/* EDIT */
Maybe that proves there's no machismo in being a Geek :)

Last edited:
I'm going to do a Thomas Pynchon character and say, "Huh?"

Seriously, though, I would go with St1ckM4n's suggestion. Abandon the subject. If you continue, I am almost certain you will find yourself in a position that will be impossible to take seriously -- no matter what that position may be.

But that's just my opinion. And I'm, well, female. Heh-heh. ;)

Back