I'm having problems setting up mic for headset

Leeky

Hello everyone. :)

As some will know, I recently did a small upgrade to the computer, and moved over to an Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard so I could upgrade to 8GB DDR3 RAM.

At the same time I also replaced my display for an HD one, speakers, fitted a GTX280, replaced my keyboard, mouse and got a new headset. :)

The headset is a Ozone Attack, which is just a budget one, but seemed worth trying to see if I get on with using one or not >>> It would also be nice to chat to everyone during our Friday Fragfests! :haha:

However, for some unknown reason, the mic just doesn't work, ever!

The speakers work absolutely fine though, as I've been using it the last couple of days without an issue.

Regardless of whether I plug it in the keyboard, the speaker front, the front panel of the tower, or the rear panel of the XFI sound card, it just doesn't want to work whatsoever - It doesn't even recognise its been plugged into one of the jacks either.

Windows 7 detects my Microsoft LifeCam absolutely fine, and even configures the mic for that as well (sorry Fraggers, didn't realise it had one til an hour ago!!) and it works fine, but I don't get anything from this one.

I've tested it on two laptops, and they're both worked fine, and the mic works as it should on them, but it just refuses to even do anything on my PC.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem, as its doing my head in now!

Below is the current view for Sounds >> Recording menu - I've added the locations they refer to as well, and I've tried all of them - Its just not "sensing" when the mic is plugged in for some reason.

Sound_recording.jpg

I'm at a loss tbh, so any help would be gratefully recieved. :)

Hi, that is a dead mic..
May be because it disconnected its self or u some how stretched to its limits without know...
so just get youself a new set...
Sorry

I really don't think that is the problem, its definitely related to the PC/motherboard, not the headset.

IF the mic was dead, it wouldn't have worked perfectly on both of my laptops - it would be dead on them as well. Its also brand new, so its not down to age or anything.

How do you come up with "u some how stretched to its limits without know..." ?!?

How do you come up with "u some how stretched to its limits without know..." ?!?

I also have headsets too but somethings i step on there cable by mistake, so its not something you can do knowing.

I've tested it on two laptops, and they're both worked fine, and the mic works as it should on them, but it just refuses to even do anything on my PC

Sorry i hadn't read that statement above.
Ok maybe you need to boast them, go the 'configure' and alter them, if it doesn't work then uninstall you sound card and let windows reinstall them by rebooting the pc...

Good call - I re-downloaded the SoundMax software from Asus' website, re-installed and its now working absolutely perfectly!

Cheers. :)

You already have this sorted out so this is just an fyi "debugging hint" for the future (or is at least my guess as to what was wrong and was causing your mic problem). Look at the audio device names in your snapshot: "High Definition Audio Device". That device name tells me you were running with Windows generic audio drivers installed. You probably forgot to install the hardware specific driver (Soundmax) in your case ;) The generic drivers don't always give you fully functional sound

You'll also find this explained in Guide to Troubleshooting Windows Audio and Sound Problems

You bet :)

And with all the subtleties of Windows you probably made it easier to spot the device name clue as it was AFTER you already suggested the driver install which fixed it :D

Thanks for the comments LookinAround. :D

I must admit, it is entirely my fault... I previously installed the drivers, but then reformatted it as it was playing up (Windows wouldn't activate, and everything seemed confused and playing up), and totally forgot to actually install the supplied Asus Soundmax drivers before trying the headset.

Ironically absolutely everything worked that I tried with the exception of the mic being sensed, and then working.

Its a bit of an embarrassing moment for me really, but hey, even the best of us make mistakes now and then - and no doubt caused a few smiles in the process of it all! :haha:

<snips>Its a bit of an embarrassing moment for me really, but hey, even the best of us make mistakes now and then - and no doubt caused a few smiles in the process of it all! :haha:
I've been down that very same road before :D

Windows generic audio support in Vista and Windows 7 is a mixed blessing i think. I had been running for several months (LOL) on Windows 7 with generic audio before i ever realized i never installed the hardware specific driver :D (like you, it only happened when i finally noticed a sound problem! :) )

I can agree with that, because it can lure you into a false sense of security - you think Windows has it sorted, but little do you realise that although it all looks 100%, it might not be as good as it seems. Queue in the mic on my headset! :haha:

I do have to say though, this Asus motherboard certainly needs considerable "mothering" compared with my previous Gigabyte. I'm really not that impressed with it overall, and I seriously doubt I'll ever consider an Asus motherboard again. My Gigabyte one "just works", this one needs you to confirm and double check everything, and even then it still might not be right. :(

Even now things are quite right, for the first time I'm experiencing BSOD's in Windows 7 as well, and its really not overclocking well either. I'm actually tempted to order another Gigabyte motherboard for my LGA775 just so I can run DDR3 RAM.

If it wasn't for me just having purchased 8GB of DDR3 OCZ gold series RAM I'd be changing it back - Don't fancy using 4GB DDR2 800 RAM now though. :haha:

fyi... here's another "tip" for anyone who might read this thread in the future on how to easily check if your audio device is using a generic vs. specific driver

Open Device Manager, rt click the device, select Properties
..> If there's no Driver tab or the Driver tab shows Unknown, no audio driver is installed
..> If the Driver tab shows Microsoft, the audio device is using the generic driver

@Leeky
Sure would've been nice if M$ also provided a simple visual cue for the user in Control Panel/Device Manager/etc to indicate when they're running device is running with Windows generic vs. hardware specific drivers!

Back