TechSpot

Im having trouble downloading steam

By cosmos100
Oct 10, 2007
  1. I'm trying to download Steam so I can get some nice games ect ect ect.

anyway when I try to download it, it goes to my computer fine but all that happens is I get a message saying:

"the windows installer service could not be accessed this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode or windows installer is not correctly installed"

I reckon it's to do with my installer... but Im not very good with software issues... any ideas?

2. God Of Mana

God Of Mana TechSpot Paladin Posts: 502

Personally I would not use those programs because they also bring in a fluffy of viruses disguised as games (Trojans)You didnt install the windows installer.Download and install here : Here is the mirror 1

3. cosmos100

cosmos100 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

I downloaded the 2.5MB file... not sure if thats right... cheers Godofmana

I downloaded the 2.5MB file and Im stilling getting the same message

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Check your services & see if the installer is running.

ps. what's wrong with Steam ? It's Valve distribution service & I have yet to hear any kind of virus or trojans circulating on it.

5. cosmos100

Check my services?

6. God Of Mana

God Of Mana TechSpot Paladin Posts: 502

Well i just dont trust those kinds of gaming thingys.

I think he means press CTL+ALT+DEL to see is you have the installer already running in your system as a task or process.

7. cosmos100

it doesnt appear to me in the processes, no

8. cosmos100

Any more ideas guys, I've emailed Steam on the issue, but got nothing from them as of yet.

9. cosmos100

Ok I've sorted it - I just went to the windows site and unreg and rereg the installer... seemed to do the trick... thanks for the help guys, I wouldnt have found the fix without the links

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.