i'm sorry...another autochk problem

By Rpowers308
Feb 25, 2007
  1. Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here so you might have to bear with me. I have a Dell Inspirion 9200 laptop. Yesterday my computer froze up and now when I restart it I get the autochk program not found error and the computer just reboots itself. I've read this thread... I still have a couple of problems. First of all, I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world so some of that thread was over my head but, if I understand it correctly it sounds like a partition is hidden. I read the fix about using PTedit but my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, can I make a DOS disk from a regular cd? That brings me to me next question, I've been using the windows xp recovery disk trying several things of which none have worked. However the last time I restarted the computer, I hit F12 to boot from the cd drive like I usually do and the CD drive was GONE!!! It wasn't listed as one of the options to boot from, but i didn't change anything the last couple of times i rebooted. If anybody could help I'd really appreciate it, I don't know where to go from here. I'm about to graduate college and I have a lot of stuff on this computer I really can't afford to lose. Feel free to ask any questions if you need more information and thank you.
  2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 545

Try FreeDOS. There's an ISO you can burn to CD iirc.

Another way to fix it would be to boot a Linux liveCD and use fdisk to change the partition code to 7/NTFS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.