IM TERRIFIED! Please help me, my computer does not work.

By geno2k3
Jan 10, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My new mobo caused alot of problems for me, read in http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic41321.html, the solution (or so i thought) was to upgrade from my 250w psu to a better PSU. Today i bought a 500w psu and thought that would have fixed the problem, but no. The moment of truth finaly came, i just installed the video card, hard drive, ect ect, and plugged in the power cord. When i put in the power cord, to my surprise nothing happend, and when i tried to press the power button, no effect, no fans moving at all, no noise, just seems like a dead cpu. PLEASE HELP ME, im afraid i wasted alot of money and im scared this computer will never boot up.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

I`m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it looks like you`ve either got a bad mobo, or a bad cpu.

I think this was mentioned earlier, in your previous post.

Regards Howard :)
  3. geno2k3

geno2k3 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 111

SAY IT AINT SO MAN!
    the powersupply isnt working on both mobos, a vg33 intel mobo, and a emachines t2200's original mobo. PLEASE HELP ME FIND A SOLUTION.

Please, i beg you, thanks.
  4. geno2k3

*UPDATE*

When i plug in the power cord, there is a case light, which means, power is flowing through from the poersupply > mobo > case. What does it exactly mean? my mobo isnt totaly dead!? IS THIS A SIGN? "Lights on but noones home?" , is this my "Light at the end of the Tunnel" Please, help me.
  5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer Newcomer, in training Posts: 464

Take it to a computer store and see what they think. Compusa or Frys will fix it for a fee. Or try a different mobo or cpu. Good Luck. Wish I could help. I about to build my first and I'm scared something will go wrong. Best of Luck.
  6. geno2k3

ooo i never knew frys offered free computer repair, tell me more. (BTW i went to the fry's in san diego and bought my 500w psu there.

I went to the frys website and no help or luck. Please tell me more about free computer repair.
  7. howard_hopkinso

spartanslayer said, and I quote. "Compusa or Frys will fix it for a fee."

Not free.

8. geno2k3

LOL howard, i just love the news you bring me. :dead:
  9. howard_hopkinso

Yeah that`s me the bringer of doooom lol.

Seriously, I wish you could get it fixed for free.

10. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

i know my local pc shop will run you CPU in there cpu tester for a very small charge, (a couple dollars)

could be a way to determine whats wrong.
  11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

Be not afraid. get a DC voltmeter. check your leads from your PSU. what does it read?
  12. geno2k3

actualy the psu is working fine, i accidently didnt plug in the case connector plugs for my emachiens t2200 correctly. I found the mobo and its manual online and fixed it. Unfortunately the other intel mobo is still not working, my conclusion is i shorted it. Thanks for everyone who helped. This thread is closed!
  13. howard_hopkinso

Glad your problem is now fixed.

Thanks for letting us know.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.