TechSpot

IM TERRIFIED! Please help me, my computer does not work.

By geno2k3
Jan 10, 2006
  1. My new mobo caused alot of problems for me, read in http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic41321.html, the solution (or so i thought) was to upgrade from my 250w psu to a better PSU. Today i bought a 500w psu and thought that would have fixed the problem, but no. The moment of truth finaly came, i just installed the video card, hard drive, ect ect, and plugged in the power cord. When i put in the power cord, to my surprise nothing happend, and when i tried to press the power button, no effect, no fans moving at all, no noise, just seems like a dead cpu. PLEASE HELP ME, im afraid i wasted alot of money and im scared this computer will never boot up.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`m sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it looks like you`ve either got a bad mobo, or a bad cpu.

I think this was mentioned earlier, in your previous post.

Regards Howard :)

3. geno2k3

geno2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

SAY IT AINT SO MAN!
    the powersupply isnt working on both mobos, a vg33 intel mobo, and a emachines t2200's original mobo. PLEASE HELP ME FIND A SOLUTION.

Please, i beg you, thanks.

4. geno2k3

*UPDATE*

When i plug in the power cord, there is a case light, which means, power is flowing through from the poersupply > mobo > case. What does it exactly mean? my mobo isnt totaly dead!? IS THIS A SIGN? "Lights on but noones home?" , is this my "Light at the end of the Tunnel" Please, help me.

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

Take it to a computer store and see what they think. Compusa or Frys will fix it for a fee. Or try a different mobo or cpu. Good Luck. Wish I could help. I about to build my first and I'm scared something will go wrong. Best of Luck.

6. geno2k3

ooo i never knew frys offered free computer repair, tell me more. (BTW i went to the fry's in san diego and bought my 500w psu there.

I went to the frys website and no help or luck. Please tell me more about free computer repair.

7. howard_hopkinso

spartanslayer said, and I quote. "Compusa or Frys will fix it for a fee."

Not free.

8. geno2k3

LOL howard, i just love the news you bring me. :dead:

9. howard_hopkinso

Yeah that`s me the bringer of doooom lol.

Seriously, I wish you could get it fixed for free.

10. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

i know my local pc shop will run you CPU in there cpu tester for a very small charge, (a couple dollars)

could be a way to determine whats wrong.

11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Be not afraid. get a DC voltmeter. check your leads from your PSU. what does it read?

12. geno2k3

actualy the psu is working fine, i accidently didnt plug in the case connector plugs for my emachiens t2200 correctly. I found the mobo and its manual online and fixed it. Unfortunately the other intel mobo is still not working, my conclusion is i shorted it. Thanks for everyone who helped. This thread is closed!

13. howard_hopkinso

Glad your problem is now fixed.

Thanks for letting us know.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.