TechSpot

I'm thinking of upgrading my computer...

By Coolmatt
Apr 1, 2006
  1. Howdy, I currently have a:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.4 GHz Socket 754
    BFG Tech GeForce 6200 AGP Card
    ASUS K8V-X SE Mobo
    Diablo Tech Demon case
    etc.

So what I want to do is upgrade the video card to PCI-e so I have to change the Mobo. Here's what I want to get...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM (2 of these)

POWERCOLOR 1900XT512OEM Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

Tuniq IC-SYMI-BK Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Ultra / X2 Connect / 550-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SLI Ready / SATA-Ready / 20/24-Pin / Modular Power Supply

I hope to be using the two HDD's to set it up for RAID (any info on how to do that will be helpful). I need to know if these items are really good and also any suggestions for an ASUS mobo that supports Socket 754 and has PCI-e slots (optional: supports RAID).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

3. Coolmatt

Coolmatt TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 66

4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

If you're going with an ATI video card then you're best to stay with an ATI northbridge chip, as in the TUL board you listed.
    But I would suggest:, You've got the Athlon64, go with the nvidia4 chipset and a 7800GT or higher.

6. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +7

You are planning a pretty big upgrade (not simply the vid card and mobo), since you're already going to replace the mobo, HDD, PSU, and even the case...

i would suggest that you also upgrade to a socket 939 processor as well, this will allow you to run memory in dual channel, this doubles your memory bandwidth and will give you a noticable performance gain over your current socket 754 setup.

7. Coolmatt

That would be nice but I paid around $600 for that current setup of my computer 3 months ago. I'm feeling bad about the current video card and the junk case I purchased for it. The two HDDs I currently have are old school-thrown-away HDDs and the PSU that came with the case sucks. If I go with socket 939 it would cost a lot more than what I am trying to spend for a computer. It can't be such a huge difference going to Socket 939 when I already have the pinnacle for the Socket 754 series.

8. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +7

Dual channel it is a significant performance boost over single channel. It doesn't matter how fast your CPU is, it can't utilize it's speed when it's bottlenecked by a single channel memory controller.

Think of it this way... if you goto the store to buy a loaf of bread, and there's 3 people in line before you with full carts, you have to sit there and wait. what if they opened a second register?? now you only have to wait for 1 person (and if you're lucky.. they'll let you go first because you're only buying bread ;)). Should data have to wait in line?

socket 754 opened the door for 64-bit CPUs, but from the start it was and still is crippled by it's lack of a dual channel memory controller, which is why they developed s939 quicky after s754.

9. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

I'd save up and go for the 939. Sell away that old 754 (coming from a guy who's using a 478 :D).

No point getting a pair of X1900XTs, and running an old CPU is there?.

10. CMH

Forgot to mention, you'll get some performance increase if you change those HDDs to raptors...

I personally might go for the RAM HDD if I can save up enough money for it. Its expensive but IMO, worth it :D

11. Coolmatt

ARRGGHH :hotbounce ...you guys are making this $1000 purchase into something that costs $2,500 - $3,000 (PLEASE don't touch that up with "well you can get all the stuff for $2,000" lol. If you have any sites that sell some great stuff than please post them here if you like). I need to make a list of what I want to get. I just feel bad because I bought all my parts for a computer almost 3 months ago :/. I guess I need to upgrade to socket 939. I am going to need to raise a lot of money though.

Okay, So what I'm planning on getting is the BFG Tech GeForce 7900 (only a 50 dollar difference between 7800 and this). I will then get a nice socket 939 board for my computer and a decent dual-core processor. Any ideas for a good Socket 939 board (it doesn't have to be specifically ASUS)? Also if anyone could tell me what a good Socket 939 processor is that's AMD because I see one that's dual-core 2.6 ghz that's $1,200!?

Anyhow, based off of your suggestions, I guess the best way to go with my current computer is basically upgrade the computer all together...Anyone wanna buy an Athlon 64 3700+ computer? lol

12. CMH

sorry about that....

Well, you can try ebay, many people go there to make budget comps. Don't expect to get back everything you put in, but don't lose hope neither :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.