I'm thinking this goes in here, yet if it doesnt, move it

By Chelsie
Oct 29, 2006
  1. Alright, heres the deal. The fan on my laptop hates me. I.E. today when I logged on, I was checking my e-mail like normal when I got this nifty little pop up that said "Windows has detected a cooling problem on your computer. Please shut down and return for service." Or something along those lines. Except I know that it had to do with my fan because my fan hadnt started at all.
    Now my fan has issues anyways. So I finally got it to start by just. . . blowing into the passage a bit to get it started again, which it worked.
    I guess what I need to know is if I just need to replace the fan (if I even can on laptops).
    So, any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Getting inside a laptop is a difficult job unless you know what you are doing!!!!
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, DON'T DO IT! Sorry to be a little extreme, but the computer (especially laptops) are very sensitive, and one little static shock, and you're computer is completely ruined.
  4. Chelsie

Chelsie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 104

I didnt mean myself lol, I just meant if I needed to take it in someplace to get it replaced =p
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Oh, well I would look on your computer manufacturors website for compatible components (or you could call them as well, but I tend to think it's not worth it). Your tech should know (I hope).

If it is not one of your fans failing, there are also products on the market that sit under a laptop and cool it as well.
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Is it an old laptop? It might just be full of dust. Maybe a can of compressed air could help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.