Images of the seriously-curved LG 'G Flex' leak

Scorpus

Staff member

As your standard flat phone is just a little too boring for the always-shifting market, companies such as Samsung and LG are trying to change the mold by introducing handsets with curved displays. Today we're seeing LG's efforts coming to light in the form of the 'G Flex', a smartphone shown off for the first time in leaked press images.

images flex android smartphone lg curved display g flex

Not much is known about the G Flex, other than reports which indicate it contains a 6-inch OLED display that has been vertically curved to make the entire device's design concave. The panel itself is presumably the same one LG announced it had begun mass producing last week; built on a plastic substrate rather than glass, the curved display is one of the slimmest (0.44mm) and lightest (7.2g) available.

The Verge claims LG is working towards a November launch for the G Flex, following the release of the Google Nexus 5, which the company is also reportedly constructing. Previous rumors have indicated the G Flex will feature a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC, which is very likely considering it powers LG's current flagship, the G2, but other specifications are currently unknown.

The G Flex is clearly designed to go head-to-head with Samsung's recently-announced Galaxy Round, which packs a 5.7-inch horizontally-curved OLED display. LG may decide to keep the G Flex launch to just Korea, the same launch region as the Galaxy Round, but we'll have to wait until a full announcement is made to get the official lowdown on specs, availability and pricing.

Permalink to story.

Curved display phones seem to be very much a "Why? because we can". See no value added by having a curved screen. Harder to get a viewing angle without any glare?

The curves should apply on the edges in the opposite direction, that will aloow a better grip and a little bit more round phone, and will be more useful, the problem? that part of the screen has to be really resistant and thats it, its the only way to cropping stupid logo edges and giving maximun screen size without making it to big

I think the curve would be a little annoying. There really isn't a point to it like there is with a curved large-screen TV. Honestly it reminds me of when I was a kid and I used a banana as a pretend telephone.

Who knows though, perhaps it's very cool to hold and use. I'll reserve any more judgement until I see one in a store.

Stepping on a flat phone is not guaranteed to break it. Stepping on this sucker and it could snap in half.

Ok. Everybody agree this sucks. Curved screen sucks on so many levels it should be skipped.The new best thing in phone design would be folding imo. You would get a tablet that you could fold it into a phone and it will also fit your pocket. So I`ll be more excited for bent folding screens.

Lol, what? Vertically curved makes no sense! You can't fit it into any pocket sideways, it takes up more room in a handbag, and is curved too much! Samsung with a gentle horizontal curve has at least some benefit.

Back