imagine

twite

(no its not the lyrics to a john lennon song)

If there was a way to buy a product online, and get it instantly ( or at least really fast).

Some kind of automated delivery system, like the same way we receive utilities. Underground, or above ground, big enough to fit me a 60" plasma T.V.

This would eliminate stores, employees of those stores, store utility bills, and building fees.

The only cost would be the actual price of the product, and warehousing. Everything else could be automated.

The only reason i ever buy stuff from a store is b/c i don't have to wait. If it wasn't for that i would buy everything online.

The online problem is this would cause a huge monopoly, and the unemployment rate would blow up. If it was somehow pulled off, it would probably be a bigger business then oil.

Groovy

As we can all tell twite has been into the mushrooms again :)

But yeah that is one bright idea even though it would have a really bad impact on the economy but I do think that instant gradification of this sort is what is really hurting the american spirit. "I want it now" has really taken over and boosted the revenue of credit card companies I might ad. I mean where does it stop ? There has to be some kind of anticipation for somthing to feel good about getting it....waiting for somthing makes you appreciate it more when you finally do get it.

Many people with decent amount of self control actually avoid going into stores that they know they will get into financial troubles with. Imagine what it would be like if you knew you could get any item almost instantly that you wanted by pushing a button in your kitchen and having it pop up through a hole in your front lawn ?

As automation progresses some of what you outlined will become a reality however to have a healthy economy there have to be some jobs avaliable to earn income to buy the worthless **** we find so important....

As we can all tell twite has been into the mushrooms again

Haha..actually just peyote this time.jk

Well, for the companies...it would be huge. For everyone else, it would be great to get your product fast, but you may not be able to buy that product when you lost your job b/c of it.

You are exactly right on the instant gratification part. People are not willing to wait 3 or 4 days to receive something. 2 hours on the other hand, is acceptable. If the product could get there in 2 hours, there would never be a need to go to the store again.

Think of the possibilities. You could order your groceries online, and receive them 10 minutes later through your pavement.

It will probably never be to this extent, but companies are slowly finding ways to get rid of employees. Whether its the self checkout at home depot, or understaffed redneck walmart, eventually things are going to be different.

I'd really like to see regular stores sell things for online prices. I want this TV but look at this:
Sharp Aquos 46" Best Buy $2,799.99 or $2649.99 if you "add to cart".
Sharp Aquos 46" Amazon (actually J&R Computer World) $1999.99

Thats $650-$800 difference right there. Thats almost 30% cheaper online.
So I'm stuck, those Aquos have known backlight banding issues, some sets it is unnoticable and some its really bad, but if I bought it online, I'd have to fight shipping/restocking fees to get the issue resolved. Is it worth $650-800 to know I can return it if needed? I don't know, I like to think not, but this is why I haven't bought it. BTW Nearest place that sells this tv is over an hour drive away from me.

I would just buy the 2 year service plan from amazon, and get it there.

When i purchased my 37" LG, i had the fear of it arriving in 10 pieces, so i just went down to circuit city and paid $150 more for it there. With a 6-700 price difference, i would have just bought it online.

Same way here! I bought my 52" locally as well. I once worked on a UPS ship line. Those guys can not read the stickers that say FRAGILE or HANDLE WITH CARE believe me!

But even though you get better deal online. Some people, like me, want it when we want it. I hate waiting for something to arrive.

I thought about getting the 52" version. I decided against it not because of the money, that isn't a problem, but its just too big for my apartment. I didn't actually see a 52" Aquos, but I saw some other 52" TVs at Wal-Mart and the screen size is just bigger than what I'd need. And I don't believe there is any difference in the 52 and 46 aside from screen size.

Hmm

SNGX I got a 42 inch Sony Wega and let me tell you I wish I would have gotten the 52inch in its place as the price differnce wasnt to much more. In my situation the 42 looked bigger in the showroom then it does in my living room. I to had concerns about the size so i went with the 42". In my case It would have been 10" bigger wich would have been perfect as the 42 looks a tad small, with you its only 6 inches bigger, not much more to work with. There is no such thing as to big of TV !!!!~

Yeah I did the same thing. Got a 52" because of what I thought would fit in my den. Looks much bigger in the showroom! I wish I'd gotten the 57" or 61" that I was looking at to start with.

Hmm, well I'll think about it some more.

To get sort of back on topic, it would be really awesome if I could get both delivered to my door, and look at both in my apt and send one back.

Yeah

TV's are smaller then they appear now a days, its not like back in the rear projection days when upgrading from a 50" to a 60" meant adding an addition to your home.

Plus with flat panal LCD's its just wall space it takes up, its not actually invasive to your actually usable space, who the f#@! cares about wall space anyways? My wife has artwork that is 60" :D

SNGX1275 said:
Hmm, well I'll think about it some more.

To get sort of back on topic, it would be really awesome if I could get both delivered to my door, and look at both in my apt and send one back.

I know some high-end home audio stores will do something similiar to that. Seems like my dad a few years ago had bought some very expensive home stereo speakers. He got to take them home and demo them for a few days. If he didnt like the way they sounded in his house, he could return them and get something different. Thats what scares me about buying something like that from say Best-Buys. By far not high-end, buy for sure they will sound different at home than in the store. Provided the store has an actual listening room that is. And this holds true with TV's as well.

Hmm

You have a Sam's club near you ? Not sure if they carry that model SNGX but they have more LCD TV's than most electronic stores. My advice, just to check out the size factor would to be to buy one there, dont really have to be the exact model that you want but just pic up a 52" of what ever brand and see if it fits well in your apartment. Then return it. Their return policy is about the same as wal-mart, return it for any reason no questions asked just as long as it is within the defined amount of time in their return policy wich is a long time, a year I beleive. I have returned many high price items in excess of $1000-1500 to them without any problems.....The longest delay you will have is them going back to the cash room to get you $1500.

Also they have just about every TV you can think of so you may find somthing better/more bang for the buck then you are set on ATM.

You'd need a HUGE toilet for a 52" to come through that way....

I don't see why we can't have one of those systems in large institutions/hospitals, where you put the things in a cylindrical container, put that in a tube, and it zooms off to its destination.... And have it implemented all over the country :D

Now, we just have to put in 60" pipes all over the country to send 52" TVs all over the place :D

Now, we just have to put in 60" pipes all over the country to send 52" TVs all over the place

Exactly..we already do it for sewage, why cant we do if for products. Also think of the ecological advantages.

1.) we wouldn't have to drive to the store (CO2 emissions)
2.) The fedex/Ups wouldnt have to drive to us.

I would say about 90% of all traffic is either job or shopping related. This would eliminate both because everyone would be fired from there job, and you wouldn't have to drive anywhere to shop.

Now of course i am being somewhat sarcastic. I honestly do think it would be very cool to have a system like that, but it would have obvious ups and downs. Although with capitalism, it my be very likely.

halo71 said:
I once worked on a UPS ship line. Those guys can not read the stickers that say FRAGILE or HANDLE WITH CARE believe me!

Correct. Correct. Correct. Correct. Correct. Correct.

They also seem to have a problem with

a) reading the correct address on your parcel

b) listening to simple instructions

c) delivering to the right address

d) speaking english properly

e) writing the correct address on your parcel

f) just about anything else

JimShady23 said:
As we can all tell twite has been into the mushrooms again

They laughed at Leonardo da Vinci as well. But he was trying to tell people he had invented a submarine.

As an engineer, Leonardo conceived ideas vastly ahead of his own time, conceptually inventing a helicopter, a tank, the use of concentrated solar power, a calculator, a rudimentary theory of plate tectonics, the double hull, and many others. Relatively few of his designs were constructed or were feasible during his lifetime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_vinci

It may happen one day, I can see it happening for small items, but not 52" plasmas :D

If they were to do it for 52" plasmas, they'd probably have one of those sci-fi transportation tubes for people....

Why not take it one step further? Teleportation. The funny thing is, there are theories about breaking matter down to the atomic level, then moving it at near light speed, and reconstructing it. You just have to be careful... The Fly, anyone?

Back