TechSpot

iMessage comes to Android with third-party app, numerous security concerns

By David Tom
Sep 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Although many have patiently been waiting for BlackBerry’s BBM messenger to come to iOS and Android, most would agree that a cross-platform iMessage app is far more in demand.

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,057   +918

Good these exploits were noticed on the first day.

3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Rookie Posts: 139   +32

Really? Asking Android users to drink the Kool Aid? Why bother when texting is already done with SMS, MMS, etc?

4. stateofjermaine

stateofjermaine TS Rookie

I think 2009 is trying to reach us via text.

5. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

If this was a Microsoft product, people would be going full speed on the hate train. But because it's Apple, it gets a pass.

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

The entire point of this article was about the fact it is not an Apple Product -_-

7. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Because you pay for that, there are multiple reasons ti why go with iMessage or use that and many other forms of text communication.

8. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 232   +7

Most ppl I know simply use WhatsApp for "free" message delivery between various different os based devices.

9. H3llion

Isn't that being monetized soon? I personally use Kik and Skype.

10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 232   +7

I presume you have used monetized in the wrong context as I am pretty sure there is no plans to turn the whatsapp app into legal tender :D.
    When I emphasised the word free this was in relation to the fact you can indeed send messages for "free" but the actual whatsapp has a nominal year subscription fee in year 2 and sub-sequential years. Currently this is £0.69 in the UK so hardly hear or there.

11. H3llion

I see that isn't too bad, I thought it was something along the lines of pay per month type of dealo.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,331   +804

I've used WhatsApp for 2 years now & never had to pay yet but even if they do charge me, it's something like 99c a year. I'll happily pay. Skype? Thanx but no thanx.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,331   +804

Yeah I've tried a lot of these messaging apps but WhatsApp remains the best by far to me.

14. H3llion

Yeah 99c is nothing, I thought it was a monthly payment they have recently changed to. I use Skype due to work related reasons + pretty much requirement for certain gaming aspects as well. About the whole data protection and Skype tapping your calls, don't really care as for anything serious I use custom VOIPs.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.