TechSpot

Imgur's new GIF file format offers much higher quality images at smaller file sizes

By Justin Kahn
Oct 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Image hosting site Imgur has decided the old GIF format for animated images just isn't cutting it anymore. In a site-wide update, Imgur is now converting animated GIF uploads into what it calls GIFV. The new tech essentially takes standard...

Read more

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,676   +780

WOW .... talk about long over due and VERY WELCOME .... now lets just hope the general community will adopt and adapt to it.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

I don't expect it to catch any thrust, given how old MP4 is. They should have used x265 instead for better quality and compression. By the time it spreads, any mobile phone will be able to play x265, since even Snapdragon 805 has it embedded.

However, it's all irrelevant. GIF-s were invented back then because:

1. No digital video standard existed;
    2. Playing video would put too much load on those old PC-s.
    3. Creating a GIF is simpler and faster than a video

Top 2 sentiments are no longer applicable, and item 3 is now questionable, thus all making GIF irrelevant.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  4. Bannhammer

Bannhammer TS Rookie Posts: 21

Is this any different than .webm ?

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Nothing in common.

6. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

I think he mentioned webm because it has been filling the gap that gifv aims to fill. Not only is gifv unnecessary, it has been unnecessary for a fairly long time.

It's all the sjw's on tumblr, I bet they think their new image format will improve equality or something.

7. Jason Scott

Jason Scott TS Rookie

You're messing up your terms. MP4 is just a file container and can hold a couple of different video and audio standards. x265 is one of many codecs for the H.265 standard, all of which need to use the standard H.265 decoder, no matter the codec.

So Imgur should not use the most popular, compatible, and refined H.264 standard (MP4 can hold H.264), and instead use H.265 which is was standardize ~18 months ago and is barely compatible with anything besides VLC. Also in my recent tests, x265 is horrible at maintaining fine detail, it still has a ways to go.

Are you kidding...... 4chan supports the webm container when it is holding VP8 video without audio. I assume that when Imgur supports MP4 that they really mean MP4 with H.264 video, which is the main rival to VP8 video compression.

So yes this is different than Webm, but to say "nothing in common" is grossly misleading considering they are rivals and use many of the same technologies to compress video.

>Ignoring that H.264 offers better image quality and smaller file sizes than VP8.
    >Implying Imgur and Tumblr are the same thing.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

I honestly read it as Tumblr, my mistake

9. Jason Scott

Jason Scott TS Rookie

I do that too

10. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Isn't this exactly what Gfycat has been doing for over a year now?

11. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah it is way overdue.

Yeah it is. But now Imgur, a huge ecosystem, has also adopted it.

12. Phr3d

Phr3d TS Booster Posts: 241   +43

Does this get us Any closer to making flash irrelevant?