Imminent hard drive failure warning

blairman

I have an HP pavilion desktop running win 7. last year I started getting 'imminent hard drive failure' warning during boot. advises me to backup disks and replace them. f10 to enter settings, f2 to continue. first time I saw this, I went shopping and bought a new hard drive. now I get it regularly and suspect another issue other than the new hard drive. it does stop the boot up until I hit f2. any thoughts?

Did you back up your important data and format and install Windows 7 fresh on the "new" hard drive?

I used the software included with the new hd to make copy/bootable disk. I did backup the original hd first.

I think you are going to have to format the new drive and install Windows fresh. Cloning a failing hard drive just moves bad stuff over to the good drive, causing problems like you are having

Question, original software was vista, with win home prem 7 upgrade. so I would start with restoring factory recover to original , then upgrade to 7 again?

I had this situation with an hp p6216f and it was not the HDD at all. It was an overheating problem with the SATA drive controller chip aka Nvidia. Check your problem: Run your computer with the side panel removed, let it run for a while even if it halts or you get errors. Carefully touch the heatsink on the chip in question, and if it is too hot to the touch, it's too hot to run. The solution that worked for me is to remove the heatsink and take it to a computer shop that sells heatsinks, buy one of comparable size that has a fan. I found one at MicroCenter for $7.99; I used the spring holder from the old heatsink in place of the one that came with it. Be sure to wipe off the old heatsink grease and use some of the new that comes with it. I haven't had a problem since. Good Luck.

Back