Important video won't copy to DVD

JudJer

I took a video with my iPhone5 at my gradaughters graduation. The file is 20 minutes long, 3.52GB. I tried to make a DVD to not avail. Video in Windows Live Gallery on PC,and on my desktop. The video in on a DVD in Quicktime, but when I try to play, its huge and only have voice.

Which movie extension do you have?

*.mov
*.avi
*.mp4

Which one. Also there are free convertion programs that will convert the format you. Save into a smaller AVI or into WMV is what you really need to use in Windows Movie Maker.

Hi JudJer, First I would say to make a couple of copies of the video file, and save them away somewhere on your pc. If it goes wrong you'll need the original again.
Can you say what file type the phone records in? (I'm guessing .mov?)
Also can you say what you want the DVD to play on, a PC or a DVD player?
You may need to convert the file first, as 'tipstir' mentioned, but be aware that some conversions make files that are far greater than the original and .avi is one.
In this case your video is 3.52 GB and a DVD has a limit of 4.7GB.
Some files when converted will end up four times larger than the original, so burning it to a DVD won't be possible.
If you want to share the video on DVD it might be easiest just to copy the file to DVD as a .mov file and let the other viewers use their own Quicktime player, on a laptop or destop.

Which movie extension do you have?

*.mov
*.avi
*.mp4

Which one. Also there are free convertion programs that will convert the format you. Save into a smaller AVI or into WMV is what you really need to use in Windows Movie Maker.

It reads .005.MOV. I want to make a DVD to give to my daugher for her keepsake. Thanks for any help.

Okay ...
Windows Live Movie Maker can open your *.MOV
Edit the movie you made delete parts you don't want
Add a title
To make a DVD
Click on Save Movie
Select Burn a DVD
Your have to save the movie as also..
Windows DVD Maker Popup then select Next
You also need to select a menu style or type for your DVD
Select Video Wall
Select Preview
Select Okay
Make sure a blank DVD designed for PC buring is inserted.
Select Burn
Once completed Pop into your DVD player connected to HDTV and see if it works the way you want!

Hi , I have made a few movies for a TV DVD player before, and the conversion to .vob ( for TV standard DVD player) increased the video file size by about 3 or 4 times.
So in this case the 3.5GB file cannot be converted into 10 or 12 GB and still fit onto a DVD !
A few options;-
1) Split the video up over several DVD's.
or,
2) Just copy the 005.mov file from iphone to PC using a USB lead.
Then just copy and burn that file onto a blank DVD in the pc's drive (Without any conversion.)
The person playing it will need to have Quicktime player installed, but that's simple enough, if Windows or Mac pc.

Another way is to convert the MOV to higher compression like MP4 using 3rd party free conversion software not online software though. Better to convert to WMV format though.

DVD 4.7GB
Dual Layer 8.5GB

Hi JudJer

Lots of info. I'll try to summarize and here's some tools/steps. First, a few things to note

1. fyi.. Your "goal" is to create "DVD-Video" format on a DVD disc. DVD-Video format should playback on any standard DVD player.
  2. To make life simpler, you want to create DVD-Video that fits on a standard DVD disc. That's a 4.3GB DVD-Video file. (Then you only need standard blank DVDs and most any DVD burner should work)
  3. Movie Maker should work but I've also seen times when it fails. So I'll also recommend DVD-Flick (which I use and is also free)
Try DVD-Flick with that that large MOV file first (if it's too big/ DVD-Flick chokes, then can convert it to a smaller video format)
> Drag and drop your video file to blank area on the DVD Flick window
> At top of DVD Flick window click Project Settings.
==> Under General, set Target Size to DVD (4.3GB)
==> Under Burning, set to Burn to Disc
==> Click Apply
> Now click Create DVD
Hope DVD Flick does the convert and burns to disc. If a problem, let us know

If DVD-Flick seems to choke on the size of the video source file, you can easily convert MOV to MP4 or WMV using Format FactoryFormat Factory

Back