Imported hardware entering U.S. with hidden malware

By Jos
Jul 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A top Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official has admitted that software and hardware components imported to the U.S. are being deliberately preloaded with spyware and malware. The revelation was…

Read the whole story
  2. example1013

example1013 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

I like the picture. I don't like buying a hard drive that's already infected.
  3. Most are already pre-infected with Microsoft Windows.
  4. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 516   +96

Probably because no one wants to waste their time to write a virus for Linux. It just doesn't pay to try and crash 14 computers.

..and before all the Linux fanboys nerd rage and explain how Linux is blah blah blah...It was a joke, you know, humor..try it sometime.
  5. UnknownSky

UnknownSky Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

Glad I don't keep factory for long :] and honestly I'm sure this has been going on FOREVER.
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

"Hey, we're flexible. Pearl Harbor didn't work out so we got you with tape decks."
  7. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I'd say Norton software has its dirty little hands on every new computer sold in America and Canada.
  8. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

:haha: Hahaha! That's why you go Linux I guess.

I'd be sad to open a shiny new laptop only to discover that it has turned into a malware-nest while I wasn't looking. And besides, I thought these 'unintentionally' infected PC's were somehow checked. Guess I was wrong.
  9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

Memo to the Department of Homeland Security - if you are worried about malware-infested computer hardware most notably USB sticks, external hard drives, memory cards and every other digital device with built-in flash storage, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which country or countries are the most prolific manufacturers of such devices.
  10. "Most are already pre-infected with Microsoft Windows" -Guest

-I love people like this that go around just spreading hate, haha. Get over yourself buddy..you don't have to use or like windows but millions and millions of people around the world use windows based computers every day to conduct business and provide the cozy little life you have where you have nothing better to do than go around and make comments not even related to the original topic. Maybe an attempt at humor...but still off topic...

Say you are being serious...ok, so you're right, Windows is garbage..perhaps you can provide the link or website to where I can get the OS you designed and wrote....??????? I'm assuming its 'better' than windows of course....
  11. w3b0n

w3b0n Newcomer, in training Posts: 38

someone is mad bro ^

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.