in 5 sentences or less, what exactly IS IP spoofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

I woke up early this AM and found several IP Spoofing alerts on Agnitium Oupost. I have an Actiontec 1524-R Router which my desktop connects to, and a wireless card in the router that my laptop uses around the house.

I've tried reading about it, and I must admit my network knowledge is pretty weak. So, I'm wondering if someone out there can give me an explanation without resorting to a lot of technical jargon. I also want to know how I can figure out if someone actually got into my system. That's the last time I leave the system on overnight!

foycur said:
I woke up early this AM and found several IP Spoofing alerts on Agnitium Oupost. I have an Actiontec 1524-R Router which my desktop connects to, and a wireless card in the router that my laptop uses around the house.

I've tried reading about it, and I must admit my network knowledge is pretty weak. So, I'm wondering if someone out there can give me an explanation without resorting to a lot of technical jargon. I also want to know how I can figure out if someone actually got into my system. That's the last time I leave the system on overnight!
#

Remember when you were 15 and you took your dads driving licence as proof of age, wasn't yours but the Off Licence accepted it, you were age spoofing,

In laymens terms

Someone sets their PC to display to the outside world an IP address of a company or organisation well known and trusted, you may see the address
72.14.207.99 which is googles, but in actual fact it belongs to Jo.Hacker so even if you report it to the ISP you have they wont be able to trace the Jo Hacker as his true IP address is not the one you have.

Hope thats right, thats how I understand it..

There is also Email spoofing, which is the same thing, you recieve an Email from your brother or cousin in Australia with a link to a site he claims to have setup, in actual fact the site belongs to Jo Hacker and when you click the link you have just fallen for the Hack and end up being spammed for the trouble.

Both explanations in 5 lines or less..

I use agnitium outpost and it listed about ten attacks from around 0100 to 0700 in the AM. Is there a way that I can check and see if anything's been compromised? It looks like it denied the service everytime, so I think I'm safe, but I'm a bit paranoid now.

If you really are a little paranoid, go and read this thread HERE.

Post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll take a look for you and tell you whether your system is clean of not.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back