In the UK, Spotify and Netflix are cooler than Rolex and Sony

dkpope

Staff

A new report ranking the coolest brands in the UK shows that digital entertainment companies are ousting established luxury brands. In this year’s CoolBrands Top 20, Spotify was the highest new brand on the list, at 11th place, with Netflix and Instagram at 5th and 6th (the first time in the top 10 for both brands.)

Also on the list for the first time was Onos, maker of wireless multi-room speaker systems and a leader in the connected house industry. High-end, yet somewhat old fashioned, home technology designer Bang & Olufsen fell five spots to 16th place and Sony was knocked out completely. Other fancy brands that had previously been on the list but weren’t this year include Dom Pérignon, Rolex, Bose and Selfridges.

Staying steady in the number one spot for the fourth consecutive year is Apple, basking in the glow of the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus release.

Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the CoolBrands Council, told The Telegraph that moving up on the list isn’t something that happens quickly, but newer brands such as Netflix and Instagram are “moving up the Top 20 at a decent pace and posing a threat to established sector peers, suggesting they'll challenge the leading brand overall.”

Who’s at the bottom of the list? Liberty, an accessory store moved down four places to sit at 20th. Last year’s 20th place finisher Stella McCartney is no longer on the index at all.

Sports brands did well on the list with Nike in 4th and Adidas in 18th. It would probably be fair to say that both brands owe fellow CoolBrands index member, Instagram, a "Thank You" for cementing their cool status through highly popular feeds.

And don't forget, YouTube (9th) is now cooler than Aston Martin (10th.) But we already knew that.

Permalink to story.

First, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what a Rolex watch has to do with a portable entertainment device. With that said, when you pay $10,000.00+ for a watch, I supposed you'd be remiss if you didn't sit there a stare at the second hand going around in circles for hours on end.

OTOH, everybody except 99+% of the Afghani people, can afford some piece of crap tablet.. Even with those things said, it's still a mystery to me why Netflix is more popular than Rolex. Or not...

Who is the "chairman of Cool Brands" anyway? My first guess is someone who failed to make it as an "entertainment reporter/ parasite"

Why doesn't that DB get a f***ing real job.

"Also on the list for the first time was Onos, maker of wireless multi-room speaker systems and a leader in the connected house industry."

Guessing this was meant to be Sonos?

First, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what a Rolex watch has to do with a portable entertainment device. With that said, when you pay $10,000.00+ for a watch, I supposed you'd be remiss if you didn't sit there a stare at the second hand going around in circles for hours on end.

OTOH, everybody except 99+% of the Afghani people, can afford some piece of crap tablet.. Even with those things said, it's still a mystery to me why Netflix is more popular than Rolex. Or not...

Who is the "chairman of Cool Brands" anyway? My first guess is someone who failed to make it as an "entertainment reporter/ parasite"

How the hell do you compare an Aston Martin to YouTube. I think I'd look far cooler tooling about the streets in an AM than I would sitting in front of my PC watching some jerk firing a 155mm armor piercing shell at an iPhone then throwing it into a food blender (the phone that is, not the AP round).
Mind you, I'd probably wind up watching YouTube instead only because I can't afford an Aston Martin.

Last edited:

How the hell do you compare an Aston Martin to YouTube. I think I'd look far cooler tooling about the streets in an AM than I would sitting in front of my PC looking at some jerk firing a 155mm armor piercing shell at an iPhone then throwing it into a food blender (the phone that is, not the AP round).
Mind you, I'd probably wind up watching YouTube instead only because I can't afford an Aston Martin.
AP round.... will it blend?! I like it.

.................................THIS JUST IN!.................................................
In a recent study, most people interviewed found eating hot fudge sundaes to be more popular than submitting to a full cavity search!

.................................THIS JUST IN!.................................................
In a recent study, most people interviewed found eating hot fudge sundaes to be more popular than submitting to a full cavity search!

*Except during specified events.
**Events held outside of San Francisco subject to regional norms.

Back