TechSpot

[Inactive]Comp very slow, Explorer 7 really slow and freezing

By mikeyb987
Mar 9, 2010
  1. I followed the 8 steps to try and remove the viruses from my computer. I have the most problems with Explorer 7 freezing and going super slow. Firefox is better but not what it used to be. After the 8 steps it did get better. I've included the log files. It seems like I have things running that I don't need to. Could someone please look at my logs and see what they think. At home I only use firefox but here at work I have to use explorer due to compatibility issues with sites that i need to use. Any help would be great- Thanks Mike

Attached Files:

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Mike, we have to get rid of the malware first. Then you can explore the unneeded processes running:

Download TDSSKiller. Extract the zipped file to your desktop.

Go to Start ->Run. Type/Copy and Paste the following text into the prompt:
    Code:
    "%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l C:\report.txt -v
    • This will have the program write a detailed log
    • The screen will resemble this black screen:
    [​IMG]
    • If malicious services or files have been detected, the utility will prompt to reboot the PC in order to complete the disinfection procedure. Please reboot when prompted.
    • After reboot, the driver will delete malicious registry keys and files as well as remove itself from the services list..
    • You should get a screen like this:
    [​IMG]
    • A log file named report.txt should have been created and saved to the root directory (usually C:\report.txt).
    • Follow the prompts and attach the report to your next reply.

When finished: Please download ComboFix HERE:
    • With ComboFix, at the download window, please rename it to Combo-Fix(.exe) before downloading it.

Important! Save the renamed download to your desktop.
    • Please disable all security programs, such as antiviruses, antispywares, and firewalls.
    • Double click on the setup file on the desktop to run
    • If prompted to download and install the Recovery Console, please do so.
      (Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.)
    • If prompted to update, please allow.
    • Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.
    • When finished, it will produce a log.Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.
    Notes:

• 1.Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
      2. ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings.
      3. Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.
      4. CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run.
    Attach this report also to next reply.

3. mikeyb987

mikeyb987 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks so much for your help- My computer seems to be doing much better now. The tddskiller didn't find anything, and I don't know if the combo fix found anything but I attached the log. Thanks for your help and your time. - Mike

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
  4. mikeyb987

mikeyb987 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well my internet is up to speed but now all of my folders- my computer, etc. take about 20 seconds to open up- big and small folders. Also my word docs take about 8 seconds to open and then they freeze and I have to close them by using ctrl, alt, delete. Even then they take forever to close. Any help would be great.

I'm running XP home edition, word 2003. Any idea- CCleaner didn't do anything. Thanks in advance for the help- Mike

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Mike, Combofix found and removed a \Legacy_TDSSSERV.SYS But since it recurred after being removed in one program, you will need to check for a Rootkit:

Please download GMER: Go to this site http://www.gmer.net/files.php and click on Download EXE. Save the file to your desktop
    Two other links for the download should you need one:
    Link 2
    Link 3
    • Double click on downloaded .exe file on the desktop
    • Select Rootkit tab> click Scan
    • When scan is completed, click Save button, and save the results as gmer.log
    This screenshot HERE will show you how the display will come up.

Warning ! Please, do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan.

Post the log.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.