[Inactive] Internet is uploading without me doing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys new to the forum and looking for some assistance, on the 17.03.10 my internet plan started its new billing peroid.

i only checked facebook and download a couple of small files, in the coarse of 24 hours i only downloaded about 104mb of data, however ! upon checking my internet service providers usage meter, it says ive uploaded about 1.5gb of data.

ive done a check with spybot and found a registery key error, and i only have a free version of AVG. also im only on a 10gb limmit, so i cant afford to have the insaine uploads.

any help would be much appreciated

Are you running any kind of file sharing like bittorrent or p2p?? Check the system tray..

I would scan with a free tool such as malwarebytes

Welcome to TechSpot, Arrlong. Let's try to stop the uploading, then we can check you for malware.

Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab:
Uncheck all of the boxes on the left side of this screen except for AVG.
IF you' re on a laptop, there will be a process for the touchpad that needs to start> it should be 'Appoint' or 'Syn...'Leave that checked.
When you have finished> click on Apply> OK

Reboot the computer. You will get a nag message that can be ignored and closed after clicking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

Let me know if this goes okay. If it does not, tell me what message you get, if any, or what isn't going as I've instructed. you haven't given me a lot to go on so ask if you don't understand.

Now, you've described the problem as both upload and download. I need to know which it is:
Upload > refers to the sending of data from a local system to a remote system
Download> means to receive data to a local system from a remote system

You are the local system. A remote system is the one on the internet.

upon checking my internet service providers usage meter, it says ive uploaded about 1.5gb of data.
From the point of view of the ISP, the download byte count is HUGE, counts everything you access and is usually meaningless.

Consider the homepage of techspot.
Downloading (or even just accessing it which is the real point here) will download 44 files of more that 694 kb + the page itself of 66kb, for a total of 760kb download cost.

from your point of view, you accessed ONE page and unless you followed by a Save Page As, nothing was deposited to your disk (permanently that is).
i only downloaded about 104mb of data
that's what YOU wanted to keep.

Typically, users are interested in the SIZE of a download, (eg a movie, song, or email) -- but if you have an ISP where charges are from data transfer sizes (as in a cell phone data plan), OUCH . . . it all hurts.

thanks for the speedy reply guys, in reply to what bob said, its purely in regards to large amounts of UPLOADED data. the downloads do not worry me they are normal.

i ran the msconfig and restarted after i only selected the AVG to open up on boot up. everything seems to be ok atm?? however something interesting. my ISP launcher to connect to the internet records how much data i send and recieve.

it was connected for almost 3 days straight, but when the new billing period started. it had shown nearly 1.5gb of data UPLOADED.

BUT!.. on the ISP launcher it said, " data sent : 11mb data received : 600mb" roughly. but on the ISP's usage meter site, it claimed i have 1.5gb of upload on the 17.03.10 ... very frustrating and confusing

it was connected for almost 3 days straight, but when the new billing period started. it had shown nearly 1.5gb of data UPLOADED.
Shut the computer down. Them check the ISP usage for the time span when it was off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back