Inconsistent 2Wire network behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2Wire 1701 Gateway DSL/Router, ISP is ATT (SBC) connnected to a Mac G4 running OS10. Have 3 laptops (an Acer, a Gateway and a Compaq) that connect wireless.
Ran fine til last month, now having intermitent problems connecting from laptops.
Either won’t find network, finds and won’t connect, or connect for a while then drops connection. Have changed all the settings (power, channel, etc,), reset 2Wire to factory specs, even sent it back to 2Wire. They tested it and said it was fine. Also tried to hook it up several different places in my house, no luck.
As far as interference issues, nothing has changed except we built a sunroom addition and changed our TV satellite provider from Dish Network to Direct TV and added another cable connection. We have several cordless phones (5.8 Ghz) but they have been in use for 2 years. What else to try?

Do all your systems connect to other wireless networks properly? I know that it's unlikely - very unlikely - that it's a client-side problem, but hey, leave no stone unturned.

Are you using any signal encryption? (WEP/WPA) I don't know that it would have this kind of effect, but I've seen lots of problems like this caused by really weird things.

Can you try to connect them to the router using a cable? If so, what happens? You seem to have implied that the G4 is connecting properly over a direct connection, so maybe there is something wrong with the wireless.

Did the manufacturer check the power cord to make sure it was in proper working order? There's a possibility that your router isn't getting consistent power from the wall.

Have any of your neighbors gotten a 2.4GHz phone or other device lately? (I'm assuming the wireless network is on that band) Maybe interference is coming from outside your home.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If none of them pan out, we'll see what we can come up with.

X DarthMonkey X said:
Are you using any signal encryption? (WEP/WPA) I don't know that it would have this kind of effect, but I've seen lots of problems like this caused by really weird things.
good idea; disable all encryption until you can get a connection
Can you try to connect them to the router using a cable? If so, what happens? You seem to have implied that the G4 is connecting properly over a direct connection, so maybe there is something wrong with the wireless.
compare the connection reliability of the wired connection to the wireless;
if the wired is rock solid, the the DSL connection is fine and the wireless is the
culprit. update the wireless device drivers -- these frequently have software
changes required to give reliable results -- especially if you ONLY use the
software as originally installed.

Verify your wireless settings; use G ONLY mode in the router and try to pick
a channel others are not using (default is 6; try 11).

Thnaks for your ideas. All computers connect fine with wired connection. Will check wireless drivers on laptops.
I guess I suspect the problem is interference from some source outside the house. However, I often get "excellent signal strength" but cannot connect. Would interference not affect that?

I have just got back from dealing with a similar problem - caused by two things. First it seems that encryption reduces signal and secondly a wireless doorbell stopped the wireless network in its tracks.
The job was made worse by the building having a lot of structural steel which also sapped the network signal.

tuff_gong said:
I guess I suspect the problem is interference from some source outside the house. However, I often get "excellent signal strength" but cannot connect. Would interference not affect that?
Any 2.5gb wireless phone, other wifi users nearby, and Mode G+B setups get
impacted.

Why use a 2-wire network? Is 2-wire a TV cable type of connector or house AC wiring. Why not use CAT 5 or something similar?

2Wire is a network hardware brand. I've seen units that use USB and/or CAT-5 for connection. I think ATT installs them if you get the full internet package (Service and hardware) from them.

I have to keep my Vonage VoIP router 5 feet away from my Netgear WGR614 wireless router or else the phone malfunctions. But 5 feet away, all is well

tuff_gong said:
Thnaks for your ideas. All computers connect fine with wired connection. Will check wireless drivers on laptops.

This is usually a problem caused by the router not assigning IP Adresses

It still sounds like some sort of interference to me... But then I've technically been out of the business for exactly one year this Friday - my knowledge isn't as deep as it once was.:dead:

Oh, btw, all laptops connect OK to other wireless networks - free dougnuts and wifi - on the road, I'm a Super 8 kind of geek.

Tmagic650 said:
Why use a 2-wire network? Is 2-wire a TV cable type of connector or house AC wiring. Why not use CAT 5 or something similar?
2-wire is a term that typically applies to ADSL connections, as all phone systems
use (two) 2-wire pairs coming into the house :)

It does sound like coaxial doesn't it, but then that would be a Cable, not ADSL connection :)

Yes Jobeard exactly! Coaxial... Cable/Satellight TV. I missed the ASDL... It has been so long since I used DSL Internet. About 7 years now if I remember. Thanks.

Maybe a bad phone plug adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back