Incorrect CPU Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,
I bought an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ off of the internet, it came in the mail today. I put it in my computer (the mother board is an ASUS A7N8X2.0). The computer recognizes that I put in a new processor. I ran a DirectX Diagnostic and it said my CPU speed was 1000Mhz. The processor I had upgraded from, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, came up as 1100Mhz. The CPU I bought was tested and guaranteed to work. Why is my motherboard not recognizing my CPU? And what can I do to fix this.

If you had taken the time to read the manual, you would've found out that you have to manually set the FSB speed to either 166MHz or 200MHz (depending on the version of the CPU that you've bought).

No manual came with it, but I have gotten it to 1700Mhz by changing the multiplier to 16.5x -- Its still not as fast as the 2300Mhz it should be at, but thats the highest multiplier i can set

You should not be changing the multiplier, only the FSB. The 3000+ either runs at 2167MHz (166MHz FSB) or 2100MHz (200MHz FSB), not 2300MHz.

it turned out to be a motherboard issue, i updated my BIOS and changed the FSB and it works, thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back