Incorrect Low Disk Status in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very strange problem and I have never heard of this happening previously...

I have a 3GB partition for my drive C which is meant to only have WinXP OS installation on it. I expected to have about 2GB free after installing windows, but now I am getting a low diskspace warning saying that I only have 170MB free space.

I have run a check disk on the drive and it does not show any problems; and when i do a recurssive directory listing from the command prompt 'dir /s' it indicates correctly that I have 1.5GB of used space! I get the same information if I select the folders individually in windows explorer, but drive C says that I am using 2.9GB???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate!!!

how many things do you have in your my documents folder, on your desktop, or in other user profiles setup on the box.

check the size on your my documents folder.

note in windows xp you can also redirect the my documents folder to a different location... right click it and go to properties.. then change the "target" this should redirect your my documents folder to wherever you want it.

also do this. right click my computer click properties then click advanced..in the second box it says user profiles... click settings. it will tell you how much disk space your user profiles are taking up, this should also include your my documents folder..

chances are it is causing your problem.

another possibility is that your paging file is on your C partition and if you have alot of ram by default it is set to 1.5 x RAM so if you have 1024MB or 1 Gig of ram you would end up using a 1.5 GB paging file. you should also be able to move this from the c: partion as well.

Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Delete Temp. Internet files in IE. In IE, select Tools/Internet Options/Delete Files.
Also delete your cookies.
Do some maintenance. In Explorer, rightclick the C-drive, select Properties, then the tab Tools. Run first Error-checking, then Defrag.

Hi guys,

I had already moved the user accounts to the D drive and the user profiles combined all take 5MB of space. There is also very little in the temp folders and I have also minimized the amount of disk space aloud for web caching. I had also previously run error-checking...will defrag now, but don't think that it will make any difference.

Any ideas how i can move the paging file onto drive D...i'm hoping that might help???

Thanks

Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Performance Settings/Advanced tab/Virtual Memory Change button.
Select the new drive you want the pagefile on, select hos it is managed, and click the Set button.
Then select the C-drive, change to No paging file and click Set.
Reboot and you are off.

Thanks a lot...that did the trick...are there any performance issues to the pagging (swap) file not being on the system drive? (same drive different partition)

Just a note ; System Restore will also hide a good portion of your Disk ,you can check it's amount to confirm how much space is being used by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back