Incorrect Processor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have Laptop that was returned to me after a motherboard failure with the 2.4ghz p4 processor running at 1.82ghz, SiS Sandra and CPU-Z as well as the windows Info say the motherboard FSB is running at 101mhz or so, a 2.4 ghz is a 18multiplier with 133mhz. I took the laptop back in person to their store and the tech guy there flashed the bios and swapped the processor(he put old one back in after) both of which did not fix the problem. The tech guy said he needed to contact the supplier of the laptop, who are Elite group (they replaced the motherboard on this to) who may know what to do. The bios does not allow for any changes to the multiplier and FSB, i was told that most modern motherboards automatically set these speeds. When Booting the info screen that pops up says 2.4ghz p4 cpu so motherboard detects it correctly. The bios version is NoteBios 4.0 release 6.0. motherboard model according to Sandra is a SIS645DX, which has a max FSB of 4x133 though it states that this FSB is running at 4x101. I am running Windows Xp professional Ver 5.01.2600 Service pack 1. So as you can see a most perplexing problem if anyone has any idea on what the issue might be i would love to hear them! Thanks

what does sandra tell you the rated speed of the processor is? your mobo may support 533 FSB but you may have a 2.4 Ghz 400mhz fsb chip.

You claimed the mobo was reporting the FSB speed @ 100mhz... have you tried at all going into the BIOS and changing the FSB to 133mhz?

I downloaded the Intel Processor Frequency ID utility from Intel
It confirms that the processor speed should be 2.40ghz at 533mhz system bus, the utility also confirms that the system is running at 1.81ghz with a 401mhz system bus.
The BIOS has NO settings related to FSB or MULTIPLIERS
Every web forum i have posted at have had no ideas so i am begining to loose hope of getting a resloution :-(

It doesn't have any form for clockthrotteling that slows the computer down when it isn't being used?

Intel (and others) use that to make the power consumption smaller, and heat less of a problem...

Try running 3dmark01SE once or twice and check again... If it's throtteling, that should make sure it's running at max speed...

the standard phoenix bios for the sis645DX does include the ability to change the FSB speed. my guess is that elite group is using a modified phoenix notebios that does not allow this capability. I found alot of post on the net looking for a hack for the notebios 4.0 release 6.0

there is a notebios V4.0 release 6.1 out you might want ot see if it is compaitable with your machine and if it enables the features you want.

Speed Step does exactly this. And Windows will misreport your CPU settings (as well as many other programs) whether Speed Step is in use or not.

I have a Pentium III laptop that does the same thing and I've come across many, many simliar laptops with the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back