Increase post formatting options for mods/supermods

Rick

Staff
I don't know what exactly is possible with VB, but there's two improvements I'd like to see for mods, supermods and really, anyone deserving.
  • Ignore or increase maximum character length
    I've written some long posts, but had to make compromises because I couldn't post more than 1000 characters. Sure, I can start a new post, but then it becomes more disjunct. Also, sometimes quoted solutions from places like Microsoft Knowledgebase are longer than 1000 chars.​
  • Add additional formatting options such as font sizes
    Changing the size of fonts helps create a more attractive and functional layout.​
Supermods may already have this capability - I do not know - but these things would certainly be useful as a moderator and as the long-winded writer of lengthy posts.

I totally agree mate. It would be really useful, especially being able to change the font size, when wanting to emphasise something really important. I know we can use bold text and or/colours, but sometimes it`s not enough in my opinion. Obviously, I`m not advocating text that`s 3 feet high or anything.

Supermods may already have this capability

Not that I`m aware of.

Regards Howard :)

P.S I deleted you accidental double post ;)

howard_hopkinso said:
P.S I deleted you accidental double post ;)
:D Oops...
I know we can use bold text and or/colours, but sometimes it`s not enough in my opinion. Obviously, I`m not advocating text that`s 3 feet high or anything.
Yes, that's my thought as well. Anything over one meter is probably too much... ;) Abuse of this could be annoying, but I trust the mods and >mods here to not to wear it out.

Yeh, I agree. My guide in my signature looks less than ideal because I had to stick with the same size font every time. Going from 12 to 14 would have been a tremendous help. Also the tiny font used in signatures could also be beneficial in some posts.

Rick said:
Ignore or increase maximum character length

I have a problem with the minimum character length of 10 letters. Sometimes in reply for instance, to say thank you, I need to have to think of something to say ;) .

Mictlantecuhtli said:
The minimum requirement is there to prevent replies with just a stupid smiley or something like that.
I don't have so much a problem with this, although this forum certainly is missing out on my incredibly hillarious and extremely clever quips............ :p

Ha!
test.jpg

I guess I should jump in before you spend more time discussing this... in fact I waited a bit to see who would like a change, and their reasons, etc. before deciding on whether the limitations should be lifted or not.

I should start by saying that no custom settings can be set per usergroup for this kind of thing, unless we hack vB, of course. That said, the forum allowed custom font sizes and colors for a long time before I decided to remove those, and IMHO it has made for a much more pleasant browsing and reading experience.

I don't consider myself to be of the minimalistic type, otherwise you would get those horrid 8pt fonts across the whole site but I remember how it was before, and how the forums are now in terms of cleanness and readability, and I like it better now.

PS: With a bit of spacing a clever usage of bold fonts, (great) posts like SNGX's can be optimized without needing the custom settings.

Back