Increasing Performance, FPS in CS:S

Status
Not open for further replies.

gozz

ok I play Counter Strike Source and have a 6800GT. Pent 4 (3.2) 1 gig Ram. Ive tried all the console commands, configs, and everything and have gotten up to about 130 fps constant. Is there anything else i can do to get even more. Are there and simple mods or new hardware that i can purchase they will specifically help increase performance (FPS) . thanks

CS:S really gains good improvements from overall system tweaks/tuning.

As you're an Intel user, I'd start with SiSoft Sandra (you can download this at www.guru3d.com, downloads section) and run it's memory bandwidth tests.

That system should be pulling ~5000mb/s in memory bandwidth if it's using DDR400 and dual-channel. I'd run these tests and use them to direct if memory bandwidth and latency can be improved as this has a very noticeable impact on CS:S framerate.

Using Sisoft

thank you shark, i just downloaded that program but can u further explain how to use it? thanks

Just curious did you just built that computer to get 100+ fps in source? The human eye cannot detect the differance between 75 and 100 fps, so trying to exceed 130 is pointless, and source dosent even need 130 fps to be played good.

thank

thanks sean but I've been playing for a while and am a very good Player and can definately tell the difference between 70-120 fps. Its a big help.

Sean is absolutely right that the "human eye" cannot detect the difference between 75 fps and 100 fps.. unfortunately, games involve a LOT more than the human eye!

Mouse response, latency, movement loops and such are all tied between our brains/hands and motor function reflexes. The latency between movements and updates on the screen in 3D games... are totally different between sitting and watching the game. While someone sitting behind you NOT playing might not be able to see a difference (human eye).. the one on a 300 dpi mouse, with high sample rate and precision movements + feedback latency surely can tell!

On SiSoft Sandra- once it's installed, run it's Memory bandwidth test. It's the icon that looks like a little chip on fire. :) It'll report several numbers in the detail info below, but the two top-most values (with colored graphs) are the one's we're interested in. Again, a P4-3.0ghz with fast/lower latency DDR/Dual Channel should be able to squeek >~5000mb/sec in this test. If not, you have much room to improve. Intels are really sensitive to memory bandwidth and latency also by design.

Good luck!

Hi gozz,
What mainboard do you have? If you're unsure, you can google/download a program called CPU-Z and run it. It has a motherboard/mainboard tab that will identify your motherboard model/make.

3557 sounds like single-channel DDR memory performance. Most all newer DDR P4 mainboards support dual-channel mode. This requires memory chips in pairs, so is your 1 gig a single chip or 2-512's, or 4x256? If it's 1x1gig, this could be it.. or if your motherboard doesn't support dual-channel, this could also be it.

If you can reply with what motherboard your system has and how the 1gig of memory is installed, this might yield insights for what direction to go.

ok

im looking at my packing slip and it says 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 400mhz
i used that program and my motherboard is a Dell , Intel i925x (thats the chipset) IS that what i was looking for????thanks for the help, what now?

Sean said:
Just curious did you just built that computer to get 100+ fps in source? The human eye cannot detect the differance between 75 and 100 fps, so trying to exceed 130 is pointless, and source dosent even need 130 fps to be played good.

U can definitely tell the difference in the 75-100 range, i havent tried 130 plus.

Source requires much more than just what you can see. Eventually your body builds up a muscle memory that you may get headshots when your not even pay attention. It no long is a case of let me think where to move my mouse to aim there. Get a high DPI mouse and low friction mouse pad and it becomes a direct link to your thoughts. Aiming becomes the least difficult part of the game.

To answer the original question. the HL2 engine largely CPU limited on modern gaming machines although its hard to say with a 6800GT. How much $$$ is the extra fps worth to you?

thanks

yeah I have a nice mouse, MX510 but about to $ thing i dont know. I have some moeny that i would like to spend towards my PC since i spend so much time on it but i dont know how much. If i would just be purchasing a little performance boost then i might not do it

Hi again Gozz,
Hmmm.. a Dell, well that does kind of limit us in what kinds of tweaks we have available!

In that CPU-Z program, there are tabs concerning the memory. I'd start by looking here to see if it has "Dual Channel:yes" showing in there.. and there is also a section of Acceleration Mode (or similar.. going off memory here so bare with me) in the memory tabs.

If you hunt in the memory tabs (there are two pertaining to memory), you should find all you need to know about your memory installed. The important factor is dual-channel mode enabled.. as well as the configuration (the second tab on memory in CPU-Z has a drop-down for each memory slot. You should have 2 or 4 slots filled.. if you only have 1 filled, you're likely in single-channel mode.. provided your dell supports dual-channel).

Even with ddr2 memory, you're not getting the full performance of a p4 CPU in single channel mode. Intels' are starved for bandwidth and dual-channel ddr2 is the way to get the most performance from them. If you can, screenshots of the CPU-Z tabs would be more helpful since CPU-Z has much information that would yield insight or tips for how to get more performance. imageshack.us is a good host for hosting images to forums as well.

Good luck!

ok

ok i cant get my screenshot program to work but i can tell u all the info.

under the memory tab: type:DDR2-SDRAM
Channels# dual
size: 1024 mb

then SPD tab Slot #1 --DDR2-SDRAM
module size: 512 mb
max bandwidth: pc3200 (200mhz)
is that all u need?

What resolution do you play at??

With my system I get between 20 and 60 fps, depending on the on-screen action. I think the 20 is when I get CPU limited, I won't go over 60, since I have vsync turned on (I can't stand page tearing, and I don't play competitively anymore)...

I also play at 1920x1200, so I think that explains my lower framerates a little.

Not to threadjack, but anyone got any tips on squeezing more performance out of an a64 3200?

Sean said:

I may be mistaken about source, but does recoil not depend in some way on your FPS? I know in the original CS it definately did, and if you could run the game at max fps, you could actually control recoil better then those with lower framerates. I'm not sure if that feature carried over to source or not though.

Hi Gozz,

Can you go to the last tab of CPU-Z, hit the "HTML Report" button and save the file to your desktop? Then when you reply here, hit the "Manage Attachments" button at the bottom and attach that HTML file.

That should lend insight into what's the source of the low bandwidth for your Dual-Channel/DDR2 system.

Okay Gozz,
There's definately something seriously wrong with that mainboard + DDR2/Dual-Channel only being able to muster 3500mb/s memory bandwidth tests. Most all 925X/925XE chipset mainboards I've tested *always* rival ~5000mb, and yours even has decent memories (CAS3.0 for DDR2-3200's.. good quality memories!)

My first suggestion would be to try flashing to the latest BIOS. Your CPU-Z lists the A04 BIOS, whereas DELL has had several revisions since.. with A08 being the most current. That is a Dimension 8400 system, correct?

If so, check this document directly from Dell's support site:
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...&typecnt=1&vercnt=9&formatcnt=1&fileid=147012

I'd also hunt around in the BIOS to see if there are other memory settings, albeit Dell's usually have pretty limited BIOS support.. (sucks, I know.. )

Lastly, if you FLASH your new BIOS and boot-up under the new BIOS, be sure to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and looking for processes in the Task Manager. If you have lots of toys running in the systray, try exiting them too before running SiSoft Sandra's memory bandwidth tests- as well as close any open applications or browsers. These can impact the test results, but we need to shoot for around 4800-5200mb/s as this would be more reasonable memory feed to that hungry P4 your system has for best game performance. :)

ok

ok i dloaded the new BIOS, i had the A04 and upgraded to the A08, my computer rebooted and everything i shut down all applications and some process and ran the test again and got Ram Bandwidth Int of 3651 mb/s and RAm bandwitdth float of 3631. I wonder what the problem is?

Hi again gozz,
Try a fresh boot... killing all non-standard processes from the task manager and any extraneous processes in the systray. Also, if you want to attach your dxdiag and msinfo (Start menu/run, type: dxdiag.. let it run.. save to file.. then on the last tab of DXDIAG there is a button for MSInfo, click that then let IT run.. and it's File/Export menu to save it's info to a second file). Both of those files will list processes and driver information.

As you can see here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/02/07/market_survey/page28.html

Those are various P4/800mhz FSB systems with DDR2 memory on i925X/XE chipset motherboards in both PCMark04's memory bandwidth and SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth tests. Only achieving 3.5gb/s memory bandwidth is seriously crippled as even normal DDR systems trounce this in dual-channel/ddr-400 modes. Intels are truly bandwidth starved and even smallish improvements here can yield very measurable improvements in performance. AMD's are lesser tied to bandwidth, but Intels most definately are.

Hopefully this isn't some Dell Dimension 8400 specific issue with it's main board, memory controller or the like. I don't have access to a "clean" 8400 to reproduce your results, but I just can't factor a P4/800mhz/Dual-channel DDR2 system with that lousy of bandwidth.

how

ok how do i know what processes i can end and which ones i must keep running? There are so many...Sorry i'm not sure what your talking about but this is all new to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back