Increasing storage limits to dvd

By cthomas
Jun 24, 2005
  1. Hi guys I need your help. I'm downloaded avi divx mpeg to dvd converter and burner and it works fine. The problem I'm having is that I notice that the space indicator at the bottom of the screen is max out at 4.2G but the dvd can hold 4.7G. What I want to know is :

1) Can I increse this to 4.7G so I can burn more movie files or
    2) Can I compress the files in some way so more can fit on 1 dvd.

So far only 4 can fit per dvd. The files are in avi format and are around 180G each.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Nobody will look at your .doc file. It is too dangerous because you can pick up a virus easily from a .doc.
    If your PC uses the FAT32 file system, that has an implicit 4GB file size limit.
    To check if you have NTFS or FAT32, go to "My Computer". Right-click on your "Local Disk (C:)" and choose "Properties".
    If it says FAT32 under File system, then there's your limit-problem.
    If it says NTFS, you have another problem.
    If you have Windows 2000 or XP, you can convert to NTFS without losing any information. See here:
  3. cthomas

cthomas TS Rookie Topic Starter

I checked and its the message I said the files were 180G. That was a typo. It's actually 180MB
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Never did read the message (no-one did!). Read my first answer again.
    You may need a program that can handle bigger files (e.g. a dual-layer DVD-ready program).
  5. camstuf

camstuf TS Rookie

@cthomas or anyone

I too need help with and burner, after several hours converting a 3CD .mpg fromat movie, the burner section opens an error report and closes the program. Any clues? Any guides?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.