Incredibly slow browsing on XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I seem to have done something very bad to my computer, as loading a page like google takes up to a minute, whereas two days ago I was browsing at very quick speed. I've talked to my isp, and the problem isn't in the line, as it is about 5 mbps, which is fine. I've tried defragmenting, disk cleanup, ad-aware, norton internet security, manual searching and cleaning the results from running 'prefetch'.

I think that the problem started when I downloaded daemontools, which came with a program called ADvantage. I deleted these files, and anything else which looked a bit dodgy. Then I did the firefox pipeline changes, but alas, nothing seems to help!

What have I done to my beloved PC? Any ideas about where to proceed from here?

Thanks a lot,

Niall

Norton Internet Security (NIS) is probably corrupt. You might try an XP repair...

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138

If this can't be done, or it is not successful, you may have to have a "fresh" install of XP, SP2 done by a computer repair shop. NIS can really mess a computer up. The more you try to get around it, the more it botches things up

you can uninstall all Norton stuff yourself; surf for Remove Norton

Cheers for the replies,

I did a repair of XP, and have completely eradicated Norton from my system, including from the registry. A bit of an improvement, but still really quite slow. Any other ideas?

Niall

1.Try System restore

2.Go HERE do the whole antispyware bit.

A repair install would not have touched Firefox and may not have touched
any spyware that might be on your system,either

3.If the problem is only with Firefox and not IE then uninstall/reinstall Firefox.

I don't think I can do the system restore as I didn't make any backup points before the problem started. I followed the instructions in the spyware advice link that was posted, and it seems to be running a little faster. Cheers :)

Still not fast though, and the problem is with explorer as well as firefox. Although with both programs, the pages are very slow to load but the download speed is as fast as before the problems began (up to 250k/s). Hmm. Any other ideas chaps?

Thanks,

Niall

XP makes restore points automatically unless you disabled it.
Just check and see if you have anything.

As you followed all the antispyware steps,you might just as well post
those three logs in the Security forum.

96.4% of all browsing slowdown problems are spyware.

A good way that i found that there was spyware was seagate personal firewall
it shows you the traffic in and out of your pc when its connected to the net.
it looked like task manager but for the internet
if you can find something like that .. it may make the problem clearer.

have you disabled the dodgy stuff on startup by using msconfig [start>run]
coz that could clear up some issues

other wise scan scan scan.
or the last hope of format and reinstall windows .. altho you prolly would like to backup your files to another hdd or and external drive.

hope you fix your pc
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back